Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Just do it
Index -> Programming, General Programming -> Functional Programming
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Aziz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I have a question: what are the actual uses of a functional language. Such as real-world examples, and even not-so-real-world examples. Perhaps look at this as a simple "why functional?" question.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Real world examples, eh? Well, just to list a few...

Microsoft's F# project, which is a dialect of O'Caml designed to work with the .NET platform. Also from Microsoft, C# 3.0 incorporates several aspects of functional programming languages (or at least most commonly found in functional programming languages).

Erlang is probably the most widely commercially used functional programming language.
Clayton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Is functional programming used more for applications? Is it possible to create graphics and such using functional programming languages? Or am I just deluded and need to go back to school Surprised

NOTE: Nice, a forum just for Functional Programming, who decided on that?
rdrake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Freakman wrote:
Is functional programming used more for applications? Is it possible to create graphics and such using functional programming languages? Or am I just deluded and need to go back to school Surprised
Dig a little deeper, or just click here.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Freakman wrote:
NOTE: Nice, a forum just for Functional Programming, who decided on that?

Myself (as announced on the blog, with Dan's nod of approval of course.

The rule of thumb is to just keep on creating threads in [GD] until a topic becomes popular enough to be moved to a dedicated forum. At 47 topics / 271 posts it's actually larger than some of the already existing areas.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Lazy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:16 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hi all,

I'm a hobbyist programmer who recently dug in two functional programming languages, Scheme and Haskell. It was not an easy start, but as I'm beginning to grasp these languages, I'm more and more certain it was worth it.

So, why functional languages?

Well designed functional languages, such as Haskell or Scheme, really provide nothing more than what all high-level languages should: powerful abstraction mechanisms in a safe environment, so complex programs are simple to write and easy to maintain. The underlying mathematical model provides robustness and elegance, while the interpreter takes care of optimization and memory management.

Historically, FLs were used a lot in academic research, such as expert systems, planning, language comprehension etc. The famous robot simulation, SHRDLU, was written in LISP. The famous modern example includes Perl 6, which is being written in Haskell. Basically, any complex project can benefit from a functional approach.

And, which language to choose?

I picked Haskell and Scheme because they are well documented - and also because they are complementary to each other, so learning them both at once gives me a good picture of the underlying paradigm. The classic programming textbook, SICP uses Scheme for examples and exercises throughout, so it's worth knowing Scheme just to read to book (and the book's well worth reading.)

Anyway, I hope this helps... and wasn't too long for the first post.

Best, L.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:37 am   Post subject: (No subject)

it was a rather good post Smile

why don't you also introduce yourself in our Hello World thread. I'm rather interested in your current location (we are mostly from Canada here, so it's exciting to learn about the other parts of the world) Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Programming, General Programming -> Functional Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 22 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: