Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 no execution
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
C0RE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:40 am   Post subject: no execution

hey im puttin this before any of my code

code:
var randn : int
loop
    randint (randn, 5, 10)
end loop

it doesnt seem to want to open my execution window

my whole code right now looks like this

code:
var choice : int

loop
    randint (randn, 5, 10)
end loop

put "Welcome To The Random Number Game!"
    put ""
    put " Please Guess What The Random Number Is Between ( 5 - 10 )"
    get choice
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
do_pete

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

That's because you're not printing/drawing anything on the screen with
code:
loop
    randint (randn, 5, 10)
end loop
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

The execution window is only opened when the first output is reached. You never output anything with this program, so the window never opens. True, you have put lines, but they are never reached because you've got an infinite loop before them.

I'd also like to say that using Rand.Int is much preferred to using randint. The latter shouldn't even be in the library.
NikG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

So to fix your problem, remove the "loop" and "end loop"
C0RE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:10 am   Post subject: (No subject)

kk thx
CyberGeek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:22 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Greetings,

I am just curious. Is it ethical to help a student like this doing school work? IMO I dont think so. I think students should have to learn by them selves or with the aid of "Help Files" Wink or other students. Not those who are at Waterloo.

This is just my own opinion.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:39 am   Post subject: (No subject)

it's a sensative issue. We generally enforce our strict 'no homework assignments' rules, but then again sending students to 'the help files' is kind of pointless in most cases.

As a guideline we do not solve the problems/assignments (do not provide working code), but point to ether where the error is coming from and/or link to a helpful resource (function name, tutorial, etc).
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
CyberGeek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Great! Very Happy I think I will fit in here great then.

I am a student, but I am a Software Consultant and Developer as a career at the moment, and always will be! Very Happy

Thanks for the clarification Tony. The only reason I posted that above was because I am expecting C0RE is a student in one of my Software Development Courses, grade 11 class, although I am grade 12 but that doesnt matter, anywho, I just want him to learn appropriately and not get exact answers on what is wrong, etc. because I do not consider that learning. Now, perhaps, learning by your self, that would be different. Very Happy

Thank-you again. Very Happy
Hope I really can help out a lot here with people who need help with various things! Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
C0RE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

just to point out, this problem was fixed without using this website so there was no rules broken so theres no big deal needed...
CyberGeek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Greetings,

C0RE - I do not care if you use this website for IDEAS only. Don't take source code or get exact help here with your Comp. Sci. class. This will not get you learning the concepts. Wink
As0k

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

just curious what source code did i take?
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

CyberGeek wrote:
Greetings,

I am just curious. Is it ethical to help a student like this doing school work? IMO I dont think so. I think students should have to learn by them selves or with the aid of "Help Files" Wink or other students. Not those who are at Waterloo.

The fundamental goal of schooling is for the student to learn. Though most of the learning comes in school, some of it comes from outside. This is an example of such outside learning.

I completely agree that providing excess help to students for assignments is a bad idea, because with CS assignemnts, most of the learning comes from the hard work itself. And of course there's plagiarism.

In conclusion, there's a fine but important line between teaching the student and doing the work for the student.
As0k

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i agree with Cervantes, i asked the question so i know in the future. And like i said this problem was fixed in the code before any reply was even posted.
r.3volved

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

awww, so no one wants to write my DirectX game for me by December!?
lol
bah...I hate video games so much
I'd much rather write a rootkit that hooks into the DirectX runtime library for my directX class, or at least something useful
CyberGeek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Cervantes wrote:
CyberGeek wrote:
Greetings,

The fundamental goal of schooling is for the student to learn. Though most of the learning comes in school, some of it comes from outside. This is an example of such outside learning.

I completely agree that providing excess help to students for assignments is a bad idea, because with CS assignemnts, most of the learning comes from the hard work itself. And of course there's plagiarism.

In conclusion, there's a fine but important line between teaching the student and doing the work for the student.

I agree with you. Although, when you said a lot of learning comes from school. Well, that is not alwasy 100% true. I am a student and also I am the President of CyberGeek's Software Solutions. We are a Software Consulting and Development company. Now, after saying that, everything that all my CS teachers have taught in school, I have learnt everything by my self / outside of school. I have been using computers ever since I could sit on my father's lap without him holding me. Very Happy
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 19 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: