Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Better FPS for games
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Jonny Tight Lips

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:29 pm   Post subject: Better FPS for games

Well I've been playing WoW for a while and my fps are really really bad. I mean so bad I could probably draw faster then it will show up sometimes. Max is like 20fps lowest I've seen in 0.1fps. I just have the base model of an HP a220 or something along that lines. Has some crappy video card build into the motherboard and a ADM proccessor. So what I was thinking was whether getting a new graphics card will increase my fps or do I need more ram( have 512) or a better proccessor. Or do I need all of the above. Well any opinoins would be nice. Just remember I don't have much money do I can be buying a high end stuff. Thx
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

512 MB of ram isn't glorious, but its not as bad as to cause what you're describing. Processor has very little to do with video performance. Your video card is 90% of the problem. Definitely get a new card, and make sure you have the latest drivers for whatever card you've currently got in there now.
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Turn down all the settings too Razz
Crappy graphics builds character!
cycro1234

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Or you can get Guild Wars, which isn't so computer-intensive but just as awsome Laughing
Notoroge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:25 am   Post subject: (No subject)

cycro1234 wrote:
Or you can get Guild Wars, which isn't so computer-intensive but just as awsome Laughing
Ew.
codemage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:34 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Heh. You can get GW with the money you save from no monthly fees.

WoW clones feel they need to constantly put down GW in order to justify their investment. Wink
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You know what? They both suck. IMO

Higher fps can be reached by optimizing the game settings. Often you can do such things as take out the rain/snow/etc, dust/etc, and things like that which cause much of the lag.
1of42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:38 pm   Post subject: Re: Better FPS for games

Jonny Tight Lips wrote:
Well I've been playing WoW for a while and my fps are really really bad. I mean so bad I could probably draw faster then it will show up sometimes. Max is like 20fps lowest I've seen in 0.1fps. I just have the base model of an HP a220 or something along that lines. Has some crappy video card build into the motherboard and a ADM proccessor. So what I was thinking was whether getting a new graphics card will increase my fps or do I need more ram( have 512) or a better proccessor. Or do I need all of the above. Well any opinoins would be nice. Just remember I don't have much money do I can be buying a high end stuff. Thx

Do you have a laptop? If so you're out of luck. Kinda soudns like you're out of luck anyways, if you've got an integrated graphics card - not likely many upgrade possiblities for that computer.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
lyam_kaskade

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Johnny Tight Lips wrote:

Probably a new graphics card.

1of42 wrote:

Do you have a laptop? If so you're out of luck. Kinda soudns like you're out of luck anyways, if you've got an integrated graphics card - not likely many upgrade possiblities for that computer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the motherboard has a switch that tells it to use the onboard GPU or a seperate one.

Of course, a new graphics card can set you back $250+. You almost might as well wait for the PS3.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

codemage wrote:
WoW clones feel they need to constantly put down GW in order to justify their investment. Wink
Did I say I play WoW? No. And I still think Guild-Wars sucks.
codemage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:43 am   Post subject: (No subject)

No. Did I accuse you of playing WoW? Confused

It's just typical that anyone who "ews" GW is a WoW addict (and vice versa, and the inverse).
1of42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lyam_kaskade wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the motherboard has a switch that tells it to use the onboard GPU or a seperate one.

Of course, a new graphics card can set you back $250+. You almost might as well wait for the PS3.

No, you're right, but give that he has an integrated card, one of the following 2 things is true:

1) He has a laptop - no upgrade possibilities here unless he gets a new one

2) He has a crappy desktop - maybe slightly more possibilities, but unlikely, since the kind of desktops that have integrated cards tend not to have new expansion slots (PCIe) etc.
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

1of42 wrote:
since the kind of desktops that have integrated cards tend not to have new expansion slots (PCIe) etc.

That's true, My computer has intergrated graphics and doesn't come with a n AGP slot. Only 3 PCI slot's which are all taken up.
Jonny Tight Lips

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:37 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I have a desk top and it does have an AGP slot and a PCI slot still open. Only thing I'm worried about now is if my power supply will support a new card. Its only a 250W and I saw on some site that a 300W is recommended. But graphics card it is then. Thx for all the input.
codemage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:54 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I also have a MB with an integrated card & AGP slot.

You can most certainly add a new card, and turn off your onboard one in your BIOS setup menu.

250W is almost certainly not enough power, and don't believe salespeople if they tell you differently. 300 is about the minimum I'd recommend. I tried doing my own (similar) setup with 280W, and the system would black out whenever the graphics card was stressed (lots of stuff on screen / level loading).

Don't put your system through that. It's really hard on everything.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: