Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Geometry and Discrete
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jamonathin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:03 am   Post subject: Geometry and Discrete

The University of Windsor came to my school a last week, and the only prerequisites for the Computer Science program are English, Calc, And Geo and Dis. + 3 U/M's (same with Western). And it was then that I realized that I dont need 4 U courses and I could get into university.

So I took up Geo and Discrete, however im a month and some into the course and lost like hell. Does anyoen know of a good math site that could help me catch up with it?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
brenn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:13 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm, I don't know about websites, but consult your teacher.... and miscellaneous compsci people in math Very Happy

Are you still on Proofs? Confused
jamonathin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:47 am   Post subject: (No subject)

We're doin some vector type crap, and that's pretty much the best I can describe. My teacher's also my calc teacher and my XC coach, and I know he doesn't really have much time right now, but I will be asking him for assitance . . soon enough.
brenn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Did your textbook come with a CD or DVD for extras? Try the textbook author/publisher websites, and see if they have anything.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, this is the website for it, and all it appears to do is explain what the book has, because they want you to buy it. .

Then I found this, which could in turn answer my own question. Good call Brenn Drawing .
brenn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think I used that textbook (it's about the same color for the cover) but I can't remember, oh well ^^;;

Very Happy Good luck with Discrete~ It's hard but really useful if you want to study hardcore Math or Engineering later Smile
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Suck it up and learn. It's a bitch at first, but I think you'll find it isn't so bad later on. Particularly with the geometry parts, they may be easier for you to visualise.

As for UWindsor, know this. Alot of people will say "Oh, Windsor isn't as bad as everybody says it is." And even more people will say "Windsor? LOL, u sux!1"

Well, here's how it goes. University of Windsor's computer science program is... crap. Sorta. If you know anything about computer science, the first year is a waste of your time. You WILL get stuck with "Dr." Ezeife, and you WILL hate you, and you MAY entertain the idea of murder. Ignore that last one.

If you can get through first year without killing others or yourself, it does get better. You will find that there are actually professors who speak (and/or understand) the English language. Though, you don't even actually need to wait until second year for it. If you end up going to the University of Windsor be sure to look into ways you can actually get involved in computer science. There's a computer science society that does... something, but I think you may find CIDER more interesting (assuming you're at all curious with game development).

Good luck, and stuff, lemme know if I can help you with anything or explain the above rambling in a more understandable fashion.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

jamonathin - you mentioned wanting to develop video games. Geometry is essensial. You absolutly need it for any sorts of physics. Trying to move something on the screen? Those are vectors.

You know how its like
code:

x += vx
y += vy

That's a vector. Try to relate the two consepts. As you learn something new in class, see how you can use that to program some complex movements on a computer screen.

Relate something new to something you enjoy doing -- you'll be ahead of the class. Best of luck with getting into a University. Ask away if you have any difficulties.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i am sorry, geo and discrete course is trivial Laughing

actually if u want help anytime, goto cyberboard on www.sosmath.com
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

From my exprice Geometry and Discrete math aucatly is avabluble corse for compsci, not so much in the highschool level tho. What i think is comple bull shit for compsci students is calculess, epstaly when u get a prof that just whonts to weed peoleop out. Tho another thing i have found is that courses being hard, fun, easy or just noraml is alot to do with the instruceter. A good prof/teacher can make the hardest corse seem better. to many thess days just care about there pay check and meeting there qoutats of pass and fail.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:51 pm   Post subject: Re: Geometry and Discrete

jamonathin wrote:
So I took up Geo and Discrete, however im a month and some into the course and lost like hell.

I thought there was a deadline for adding a new course? September 19th or something like that. Does this rule not apply in your district, or did you convince guidance/principal that you could do it?
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:12 pm   Post subject: Re: Geometry and Discrete

jamonathin wrote:

So I took up Geo and Discrete, however im a month and some into the course and lost like hell. Does anyoen know of a good math site that could help me catch up with it?

I could help you i am in the same course and it would be the same text book, I am pretty goo dat this stuff, I would be happy to help.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:13 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Coutsos - I pretty well understand your rambling, i think i've been around long enough and read several of your comments, lol. The one thing im not shure of is the computer science society or CIDER; because i am quite interested wit hgame development.

Tony - That makes a lot of sense, I'll try for shure to implement that, cuz even last night i was looking at some of the stuff and i really could relate it to compsci.

bugz - Thanks for the site Smile

Dan - My teacher right now is pretty good, but i know what you mean about foreign compsci teachers. Windsor whowed us a pic of the Compsci department, and i thought they were still showing us foreign exchange scholars. . .

Cervantes - Yeah i dunno lol. Cuz they already had one test, so im trying to learn that test, and what i need to do for the test i have next wednesday Confused. But i think it's because she realized this was my only chance of getting in U without summer/night school. George just lucky i guess. (but my names not george Surprised )

Stargate - Sounds good man Smile.

Thanks for your help and 'encouragement' guys, lol. I'll need it. Smile
codemage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:32 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
My teacher right now is pretty good, but i know what you mean about foreign compsci teachers. Windsor whowed us a pic of the Compsci department, and i thought they were still showing us foreign exchange scholars. . .

Same with any CompSci department I've ever seen. If I can grossly stereotype, they typically know their stuff, but couldn't teach it to anyone else if their life depended on it.

I also share the sentiments about calculus in CompSci. Math is necessary - but too many programs teach Compsci like everyone is planning to minor in math.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:00 am   Post subject: (No subject)

jamonathin wrote:
Coutsos - I pretty well understand your rambling, i think i've been around long enough and read several of your comments, lol. The one thing im not shure of is the computer science society or CIDER; because i am quite interested wit hgame development.

Now I understand why coutsos knows what the CompSci department's like, and all about that CIDER society . . Here's a UofW forum. And there's CIDER at the bottom. But before I got that far i saw a name. "coutso1" and i was like, hey, i wonder what that means, cuz now thats the second person who has a name like that. Then i continued my search into CIDER and found this little topic. I almost started to miss that avatar, almost.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 34 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: