Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Best program for its purpose
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Notoroge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:12 pm   Post subject: Best program for its purpose

Let's start a list of what you think the best programs are and what they do, for what they do. This is of course, your opinion, but try to minimize the propaganda and advertisement. To keep consistency, follow this format,

Name: <name of application>
Company:<company's name>
Category: <mail?, browser?, media player? OS? etc...>

Description:< a brief overview of key-features and what it does>

Why I think it's the best at what it does...
<your input and review of program goes here>

Screenshot:
<screenshots are nice Smile>

code:
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Company:[/b]
[b]Website:[/b]
[b]Category:[/b]

[b]Description:[/b]

[b]Why I think it's the best at what it does...[/b]

[b]Screenshot:[/b]
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rdrake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:56 pm   Post subject: Re: Best program for its purpose

Name: foobar2000
Category: Audio Player

Description: Plays almost every media type.

This program may not have a million features, but it does what it says it'll do and it does it well. It doesn't bloat itself with useless features. I just hide it in the taskbar and play music with it, nothing else. It does what it says it'll do, it doesn't try to impress people with useless, resource draining features. Right now it's only using 2092 kb of RAM with a song playing.

It also doesn't have a bunch of updates being released every week. The only thing that would be nice to see is support for other platforms.

Screenshot:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Monstrosity_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Name: SpeedFan
Category: Temp. Monitor

Description: "SpeedFan is a freeware program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures"

It also allows me to keep track of my hdd health (through SMART values) and change the fan's speed (for when I dont need the extra noise). Ive seen/used quite a few freeware and retail products of this nature (mostly for the SMART readings) and this one IMHO beats them all. It wont try and "dumb down"/hide SMART values, it shows all the info I need. Theres also a few other features that I dont use and wont comment on. On the down side, the initial setup can be a pain.

And for whoever is wondering; the 0 RPM's on fan 2 is due to my system, not the progam.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen. Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea but sometimes you have to use everest to turn on the sensors.. but its still a pretty sweet program
Notoroge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What the hell is that "CODE" thing at the bottom of my post? Thinking
Well, thanks I guess. It does make sense to make it easy for people to just do the CTRL+C thing.
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Notoroge wrote:
What the hell is that "CODE" thing at the bottom of my post? Thinking
Well, thanks I guess. It does make sense to make it easy for people to just do the CTRL+C thing.
Don't question US leet Moderators... mwhahhahaha..

ehm no i didn't do it.. some other leet mod did it. Rolling Eyes
Neo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Name: Notebook Hardware Control (AKA Centrino Hardware Control)
Category: Laptop Utility

Description: "With Notebook Hardware Control you can easily control the hardware components of your Intel Mobile Notebook."

This is a must have program if you own a Pentium M based laptop. NHC allows you to monitor CPU temperatures and display it in the taskbar. Its a great tool for setting custom voltages. I undervolted my CPU and my new temps have been reduced by about 6C on normal usage and 4-5C on full load. My battery life has also increased. If you have an ATI card you can mess around with your video card's core and memory settings. Right now they only have support for Pentium M but Turion support will likely be added in the future, hence the name change.

Screenshot:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: