Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 should i learn java with, or without consoles??
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
person

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:36 pm   Post subject: should i learn java with, or without consoles??

my skool has a rlly rlly crappy ICS3 course, and i wanna take AP next yr in ICS4, but i dont think i can do it considering wat we're learning this yr

so basically i am gonna attempt to learn java on my own

now, here is the question, should i learn it with consoles or without consoles, and wat r the advantage, and disadvantages of each option?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:38 pm   Post subject: Re: should i learn java with, or without consoles??

person wrote:
my skool has a rlly rlly crappy ICS3 course, and i wanna take AP next yr in ICS4, but i dont think i can do it considering wat we're learning this yr

so basically i am gonna attempt to learn java on my own

now, here is the question, should i learn it with consoles or without consoles, and wat r the advantage, and disadvantages of each option?

If you're talking about the HSA Console class, then I would sincerely suggest you not use it and focus on standard Java idioms instead.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If you mean using the "black screen" console (command prompt in windows) then you should for sure start learning that, even if just to get the very basic concepts. Later, you can choose whether to go into that more, or if you want to go to graphics (swing, etc).
person

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

just to clear up ambiguities, i meant the hsa consoles
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well then I strongly suggest listening to wtd, if you need any more urging. If you learn the HSA console class you will depend on it, and later on you will have trouble switching to normal Java.
person

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

alrite, im not gonna use the hsa consoles

thanx guys

but just one more question, y do the schools teach it with consoles??
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Same reason they teach Turing. Deal with HoltSoft, supposed 'easyness', similarity to it's expected predecessor, Turing, teachers already know it, etc.

I'm lucky because most of the time my school doesn't teach using it.
codemage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:20 am   Post subject: (No subject)

As long as you're learning the concepts, it doesn't really matter what version you use. In fact, the fewer bells & whistles, the better.

In many CS courses in the 3rd & 4th years of University (not to mention the real world), the profs often don't care what language you use to solve a given problem.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Aziz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That's not the thing though. It's not about Uni, it's about doing it, and are you going to be using HSA to do your professional programs?
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:20 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Aziz wrote:
are you going to be using HSA to do your professional programs?

Well there's a chance you might be doing your "professional" programming in a language you've never heard of before Laughing
Aziz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It's true, but still HSA & RTP, IMHO, teach bad java convention :S
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: