Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Wikipedia Down?
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
lyam_kaskade

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:14 pm   Post subject: Wikipedia Down?

I haven't been able to access wikipedia for several days now.
I also just noticed I can't get into ubuntulinux.org (but the forums are okay) and I can't update synaptic. I'm wondering if there are other sites I can't get to.

I haven't been able to find any information on this problem from anywhere,
and it's like this on ResNet, on the UW wireless network, and on my Nexus account.Because of this, I have a horrible suspicion it has something to do with the UW servers.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ubuntu and wikipedia work for me...
beard0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

They both work for me too. Check out this slashdot article though:

Slashdot wrote:
slashmicah asks: "Internet partitioning and Tier 1 ISPs are something most people don't know much about (myself included). Today, however, some Slashdot readers might have run into some issues involving these two topics. Cogent Communications and Level 3, both Tier 1 ISPs, are apparently having some 'undisclosed' disagreements, causing an Internet partition by turning-off or deactivating their peering point. Cogent Co. has released a statement explaining their side of the problem, however they have no mention of when the problem will be fixed, or when they will sort it out. This partitioning is a problem because any [single-homed] computers that are connected through Cogent Co, can not connect to [single-homed] computers connected through Level 3. Having spent all day sorting out this problem, I ask Slashdot: Isn't there a better way that the issue of peering can be handled/regulated? If not, does the future hold a scenario in which the Internet is split into several separate networks, only to be connected at the whims of large corporations?"

Original
lyam_kaskade

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Okay, scratch that. Just went to IST. Apparently the problem has to do with the recent Internet Partitioning.

The concept that parts of the Internet could be made unavailable so easily instills me with a very ominous feeling...
beard0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lyam_kaskade wrote:
Okay, scratch that. Just went to IST. Apparently the problem has to do with the recent Internet Partitioning.

The concept that parts of the Internet could be made unavailable so easily instills me with a very ominous feeling...

You do realise that you just linked the same thing i posted (and linked)?
lyam_kaskade

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

beard0 wrote:

You do realise that you just linked the same thing i posted (and linked)?

You realize the posts were made within 5 minutes of each other, and assuming I have other things to do at the same time (which I do) I might have started before you even posted? And then you only gave me six minutes to notice/correct the problem, assuming I cared enough to bother? (which I don't, really).

Regardless, that has nothing to do with the matter at hand. What's important here is that a company is keeping a large amount of people from accessing Ubuntu and Wikipedia (and possibly other sites).
beard0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Woah, calm down a bit.

Also, try this:
http://anon.free.anonymizer.com/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Assuming you can access the annonymizer server, it has access to wikipedia. There are obviously some crossovers, as we can both access compsci. Another solution would be to try to find a proxy that has access to wikipedia, and set that up in your browser preferences.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

funny thing, some people can't access JobMine (web app UW students use to apply for jobs) due to this ISP issue. Ouch.

could somebody confirm the presence of textdrive for me? I lost access earlier this week Confused
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
beard0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:34 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Tony wrote:
could somebody confirm the presence of textdrive for me? I lost access earlier this week :?

I've got it. You could try the annonymizer I suggested for Wikipedia, or can you not access that either?
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:42 am   Post subject: (No subject)

works for the front page, though free version of the service wont let me access their forums.
codemage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:43 am   Post subject: (No subject)

www.answers.com Typically uses wikipedia for their information, if you're in a jam. No editing functions though.

Scary thing if the partitioning isn't resolved. I can think of quite a few large companies who would have it in their best interest (ie - not ours) to keep things fragmented.[/url]
Boo-chan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Just wait until it starts fragmenting between countries.... its in things like this that monopolies are a good thing.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

so here's what's going on:

there are two tier 1 ISPs.
Level 3 Communications
and
Congent Communications
If you can access both sites, you're in the clear for now. Otherwise you're on one end or another. Congent is a much smaller company providing access to mostly Universities it seems. Including Waterloo it seems.

Level 3 stopped access to Congent because apparently it was loosing money in an uneven distribution of traffic exchange (peering). I guess it makes sence. University students are a hyperactive bunch on the internet, downloading gigabytes of data, but are not hosting much on the University servers in exchange. Thus traffic is mostly one way. Level 3 asked Congent to start paying up for the losses determined in the analysis conducted. Congent refused. No more sharing of traffic - Congent is blocked.

Source Article
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: