Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Final Verdict (Gaming Computer)
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

What do you think of my new computer layout?
(No ending time set)
Sweet!!!
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Nice!!
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Cool!
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Yuck!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, No, No!!
27%
 27%  [ 6 ]
Sucks!!
27%
 27%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 22

StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:30 am   Post subject: Final Verdict (Gaming Computer)

I have decided on the final list for the computer now

CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0 Ghz\1MB Cache\Socket 939\Duel-Core (Manchester0\Processeer with Fan

MOBO:
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe nVidia Socket 939 MotherBoard\PCI Express\Duel GigaBit Lan\Serial ATA\Duel Raid\USB 2.0 & Firewire

Video Card:
2 eVGA GeForce 6800\256MB DDR\PCI-Express\SLI\DVI\VGA\HDTV\Video Card

Hard Drive:
Maxtor\DiamondMax 10\250GB\7200\16MB\SATA-150\OEM\RoHS Compliant\Hard Drive

Power:
Xion\600-Watt\ATX\140mm\SATA-Ready\SLI-Ready\20/24 Pin\Power Supply

RAM:
2 Corsair Dual Channel\ 1024MB\PC3200 DDR 400Mhz Memory (2x512)

Case:
Asprie Black/Black X-Plorer ATX Mid_Tower Case with Clear Side, Fan Controller, Front USB and Firewire Port

Speakers:
Cyber Acoustics CA-4400 Black 5-Piece Surround SOund Speaker System

DVD\CD ROM Drive:
LG GDR-8163B\16x DVD-ROM\52x CD-ROM\Black\DVD-ROM Drive

Sound Card:
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI SOund Card

Mouse:
Diablo Black PS/2 Optical Mouse withy Illuminated Scroll Wheel

Keyboard:
Diablo Illuminated PS/2 Keyboard (black)

Monitor:
NEC LCD1970GX / 19" / 8ms / SXGA / 1280x1024 / Black / LCD Monitor Refurbished

Extra's:
Case Fans:
2 Aerocool UV Led (Blue/Blue) 80MM Case Fan

Surge Protector:
Newpoint Wallhugger\7-Oulet\1500 Joules\Surge Protector

Cyber Acoustics Neckband Style Headset and Microphone / Silver

The Total Price of everything here is $3,462.88 CND as of today from tigerdirect.ca

Edit:

Added a Poll.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

hm wow that is a nice system.. but if i were u, i'd invest in an extra 150 and get two gigs of ram.. but then again, 1 gig should be plenty for now but yea that is pretty kick ass
codemage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

More than I'd spend on a rig; I noticed you bumped your spending allowance...

I agree with the RAM; if you're not going to spring for the 2 GB, leave room - that'll be your first upgrade.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I would buy the cheaper CPU, slight performance loss, larger cost decrease. Amazing computer, all in all.
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

There are 2 gB's of Ram, there is a 2 inform of the RAM section and then in the back (2x512)

The processer is duel core and that is the way of the future.

Well lets just say I came into the light about spending, if I am going to get the best, I might as well.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'd wait a few months and get an XBox 360 and a 42" Panasonic plasma HDTV and use the money that you'd save to buy a few games.

Actually, I'd wait a bit longer and get a Nintendo Revolution, but yeah, you get the point. XBox 360 does look pretty cool too though.

Or if you already have a decent HDTV, get an XBox360, PS3, Nintendo Revolution, 10 games and an iMac for about the same cost. You following me here?
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:28 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin makes an excellent point. How long will your computer remain "the best"?

On the other hand your xbox360/ps3/revolution will remain the best until... well next gen. And you can still do all of your work on that shiny new Mac Wink
codemage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

For that price, you wouldn't have anything left over for a console system or games if you bought a shiny new power mac of equivalent power. (Well over $4000).

Oh... and nobody knows how long we'll be waiting for the nextgen Nintendo yet. My money is on PS3 to win the nextgen marketshare, again.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:12 am   Post subject: (No subject)

It really doesn't matter how long my computer will last, becasue i can just upgrade it, piece by piece as it requires. Yes I could by a Xbox 360 and I probaly will but this is my computer plan not wyas I could spend money else were. I know there are lots of things I could buy and most likely will buy aleats Xbox 360 and Nitendo revolution.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

StarGateSG-1 wrote:
I know there are lots of things I could buy and most likely will

Maybe you could like.. donate some of that towards compsci's hosting.
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Maybe I could!!!, now there's an idea Question I could think about that.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Tony wrote:

On the other hand your xbox360/ps3/revolution will remain the best until... well next gen. And you can still do all of your work on that shiny new Mac Wink

Yeah, but xbox360 and all that will be outdated when the 'next gen' comes, a computer still has it's uses for a very long time. Sure you could play the same games over and over, but for how long? I am sure he will not solely use this computer for gaming.

Besides, why would you get a xbox360? ps3 is much better Smile.
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:
Tony wrote:

Yeah, but xbox360 and all that will be outdated when the 'next gen' comes, a computer still has it's uses for a very long time. Sure you could play the same games over and over, but for how long? I am sure he will not solely use this computer for gaming.

Besides, why would you get a xbox360? ps3 01s much better Smile.

You're clearly missing the point. Didn't you see the post where I said you could get ALL 3 next gen consoles, 5 games AND a computer? For $3500. And the consoles'd last you about 5 years, the computer probably 2.5. Besides, I only mentioned the XBox 360 because it's going to come out first.

As for being outdated, yeah, near the end of the line it will be. But I mean, the Xbox holds its own fairly well even now in terms of graphics.

In any case, spending $3500 on a gaming computer is one of the worst investments you could make.
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thank you for your opinion, but your wrong, plain and simple, not everyone plays console games, besides the ocassional xbox live game of halo 2 I don't use consoles. So form were i am yes I could buy the next 5 consoles but they would gather dust in my basement. I am a computer person, not console. Maybe you should come back when you come up with constructive critizim instead of how you would spend my money.
md

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I built a decent computer for someone last week and the total cost was under $1000; p4@3 (overclocked), good mobo, 1gb ram, decent video card, and 200gb drive. Sure he used an old dvd burner, and it's certainly not top of the line... but his system will perform almost as well as yours and he paid 1/3 as much for it.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 4  [ 49 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: