Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 incorrect result -_-
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Tubs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:28 pm   Post subject: incorrect result -_-

code:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <math.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{

double thing;

thing = pow((27/1),(1/3));

printf ("%.2f", thing);
  system ("PAUSE") ;
  return 0;
}

This returns 1.00 where it should return 3.00. (It returns one no matter what input is in the power function so i assume the problem is there). Any suggestions? Using dev c++ compiler.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well... 27/1 is 27 and 1/3 is one third. The problem is that you're using integers. When you devide one integer (say 1) by another (say 3) the compiler does the division, but instead of returning a floating point fraction it returns an integer value (in this case it returns 1, the value it returns is documented somewhere...). In pascal this does the same as:
Pascal:

function foo_pascal(x:integer; y:integer):integer;
begin
    foo := x div y;
end;

To get the fractional value in C or C++ you must first cast one of the values into a float or a double. There are by far many ways to do it, but the one that wtd would probably insist upon is a static_cast<float> or static_cast<double> (I think that's right... you can always use (double)... ).

c++:

double foo_cpp(int x, int y)
{
    return x / static_cast<double>y;
}

As for power()... I'm fairly certain that there's nothing wrong with it, but see what happens when you use the casting.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

For example:
code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <math.h>

int main(int argc, char argv[])
{

float thing;

thing = pow((27.00/1.00),(1.00/3.00));

printf ("%f",thing);
  return 0;
}

This will return 3.00. I just converted all those ints to doubles manually.
Tubs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thanks... i am kinda creeped out that you go to UW though. im like 15 minutes away Wink WLU
md

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sure you can do it manually... but then what happens if you change the values for variables? Razz
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:
Sure you can do it manually... but then what happens if you change the values for variables? Razz

Oh, no, I agree that your way is the solution. I was just giving a solid example to demonstrate what you were saying. Obviously the function has to be able to evaluate other values besides the cube root of 27 Razz
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:
There are by far many ways to do it, but the one that wtd would probably insist upon is a static_cast<float> or static_cast<double> (I think that's right... you can always use (double)... ).

[syntax="cpp"]static_cast<double>(int_value)[/code]

Would be correct. However, the original poster is clearly using C, as evidenced by the use of stdiol, so instead we use:

[syntax="c"](double)int_value[/code]
md

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thanks wtd, wasn't quite sure on the syntax there
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: