Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Gaming Computers
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

What do you think of the computer?
(No ending time set)
Amazing!!!
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Wow, not bad!!
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Nice!
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
It's Ok
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Don't like!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sucks!!
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Not for me.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Needs improvment! (please post your thoughts.)
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
No Comment!
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:08 am   Post subject: Gaming Computers

I am looking into building a kickass gaming computer, and I was just wondering, if somone could double check my spec's, its been a while and I just want a second opinion.

Here are the spec's:

Quote:
Computer Price List (US Dollars, price listings from http://www.newegg.com/ as of 9/26/05)

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX - Retail
Price: $289.00

COOLER MASTER CAV-T01-WWC Silver/Blue ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply - Retail
Price: $74.99

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS SB0350 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - OEM
Price: $70.00

Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Price: $79.99

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Price: $164.00

ViewSonic VG910S Silver 19" 25ms LCD Monitor - Retail
Price: $359.99

PLEXTOR Black IDE DVD Burner Model PX-716AL/SW - Retail
Price: $145.49

Steel Pad 20062 3.5mm Connector Professional Gaming Headset - Retail
Price: $109.00

Saitek Gamers' Keyboard PZ08A 2-Tone USB Wired Sleek contemporary Keyboard - Retail
Price: $43.00

Logitech MX518 931352-0403 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1x Wheel USB + PS/2 Optical Mouse - Retail
Price: $39.89

TRENDnet TEG-PCITXR 10/100/1000Mbps PCI Network Adapter - Retail
Price: $20.00

eVGA 256-P2-N376-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Price: $299.00

KINGMAX Super ram 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model MPXC22D-38 - OEM
Price: $41.99

Total: $1778.33
In Canadian: $2,088.74

I use newegg.com for prices, I know there are others but newegg.com seems to be the cheapest.

Please post your Idea's and thoughts and also vote in the poll!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I say you should go with 1GB of ram, otherwise it seems like a good comptuer. I wish I had a good computer
md

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I agree with timmy; 512 isn't nearly enough memory. I'd actually recommend going for 2gb though as you really don't realize just how much you use.

As for the keyboard, headset, powersupply and sound card I'd recommend going for cheaper versions which will get the job done. Unless you're a serious audiophile and your running some kick ass speakers (and I mean kick ass... $5000-$10000 range) you're just waisting money that could better be spent on more ram, more storage, a faster proccessor, or another SLI card.

The LCD might also be a bit of an issue; you'll probably be fine but you will notice some ghosting if you play a FPS and are moving fast. I have a 19" 25ms LCD myself and it is noticable, though just barely.
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Something else I noticed is, you don't really need a 145$ DVD Burner, stores around were I live sell good branded DVD burners for cheap (around 60$)
Notoroge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

All computers suck when it comes to gaming. 2 weeks from now it'll be outdated. That's true for any week of the year.
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Notoroge wrote:
All computers suck when it comes to gaming. 2 weeks from now it'll be outdated. That's true for any week of the year.

Mine was outdated before I even got it. Damn dell
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Whoops, there is suppose to be 1GB its in the cost just not on the list. Why would you not go have you seen the headset I am talking about. It uses USB sound which is as good as Dobly Digtail for alot less money, The power supply comes with the case, so that is a problem they are very few good cases that come without them, the problem is the back of the mother board and what it will fit into. The sound card is good becasue i mix music for games, but I will consider that becasue USB sound doesn't need one, But I have to check if it works for mixing sounds and such. Whats wrong with LCD, its ethier that or CRT and LCD is 10000 times better, o ya I don't play FPS. I was thinking maybe more RAM, becaus each 512 stick is like 40 bucks (U.S). Ya I think your right about the DvD burner, I didn't relise that, I am more worried about the case and motherboard fitting together, and that my processer does not coem with T.I.M.

Notoroge, honestly I think you need a reality check, or read something, that has long died out about computers, The next big processer coming and has come is the duel processer. and it will take aleast 2 years for games to make full use of it, so right, o yes and the DDR2 won't be effective ethier for awhile. Nvidia doesn't have any major products out in the next year and nethier does Creative Labs, so for aleast a year I am well off, with the exception of not having an 850$ processer.
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

why would you get an pci NIC? im sure the asus motherboard comes with integrated lan... also, you're cheaping out on ram.. if ur building a kick ass system, dont cheap out ram, buy something good like corsair or samsung, and try to get heat spreaders if you can. what exactly is your budget? maybe the people on this forum can find you something better for the buck. Also, notice the case only comes with a 380w psu? if u plan to go sli, there is no freaking way that's enuff.. even with a single gpu, u mite end up with power problems
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
lyam_kaskade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

StarGateSG-1 wrote:

Notoroge, honestly I think you need a reality check, or read something, that has long died out about computers, The next big processer coming and has come is the duel processer. and it will take aleast 2 years for games to make full use of it, so right, o yes and the DDR2 won't be effective ethier for awhile. Nvidia doesn't have any major products out in the next year and nethier does Creative Labs, so for aleast a year I am well off, with the exception of not having an 850$ processer.

And yet, his point is valid. If you wanted something for gaming, a platform system would be far superior, and only a fraction of the cost.
But it's your money.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Notoroge wrote:

If you mean that there is something slightly better out then, yes. If not, I am sure that at one point in the near future they will stop making games that require much more computer power. Look at half life 2, you already get motion sickness at a rate that other games never had, and that's just one reason. Games are not meant to be realistic for the most part, which is leading me to this line of thinking. I may be completely wrong, but that is my off topic brainstorm.
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:
Look at half life 2, you already get motion sickness at a rate that other games never had

The motion sickness I got from HL2 was the reason it took me almost 2 weeks to beat. Were other games (like COD) only take me about 30 hrs.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright, let's make things cheap so that they break and people have to buy more! Oh, that's already being done Confused.

Seriously, that has nothing to do with game time, nor should it. There are many games that take longer without motion sickness Rolling Eyes. It shouldn't be a good thing.
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer.ars
md

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

StarGateSG-1 wrote:
Whoops, there is suppose to be 1GB its in the cost just not on the list. Why would you not go have you seen the headset I am talking about. It uses USB sound which is as good as Dobly Digtail for alot less money, The power supply comes with the case, so that is a problem they are very few good cases that come without them, the problem is the back of the mother board and what it will fit into. The sound card is good becasue i mix music for games, but I will consider that becasue USB sound doesn't need one, But I have to check if it works for mixing sounds and such.

I'd avoid a USB sound solution. USB is a software based interface, which means that the processor is used (at least in part) to transfer information to and from the USB components; and probably is used to do much of the work that dedicated hardware does in most soundcards. I wasn't saying you should get a really cheap card... just a cheaper one so that you can get more ram... As for the head set; really anything with a decent mic and headphones will work fine. You can get one that is more then good enough for any VOIP for < $50.

As for LCD vs. CTR; really it's a matter of personal preference (I like my LCD Very Happy) but like I said they do suffer ghosting sometimes. If your not a really big FPS player though then that really doesn't affect you so by all means splurge on the LCD Razz
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ok, I haven been able to get on for awhile, is it just me or has compsci been down alot lately, not crashed but just reachable.

This is my new list.

Computer Price List (US Dollars, price listings from http://www.newegg.com/ as of 9/26/05)

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX - Retail
Price: $289.00
ATRIX CSCI-C8023-C43 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 480W Power Supply - Retail
Price: $48.00
Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Price: $79.99
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Price: $164.00
3G Technology GM170B Black 17" 30ms LCD Monitor - Retail
Price: $233.99
LITE-ON Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model SOHD-16P9SBLK - Retail
Price: $19.99
Steel Pad 20062 3.5mm Connector Professional Gaming Headset - Retail
Price: $109.00
Saitek Gamers' Keyboard PZ08A 2-Tone USB Wired Sleek contemporary Keyboard - Retail
Price: $43.00
Logitech MX518 931352-0403 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1x Wheel USB + PS/2 Optical Mouse - Retail
Price: $39.89
eVGA 256-P2-N376-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Price: $299.00
Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24bit 70SB041000000 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
Price: $39.99
Kingston Value RAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model KVR400X64C3AK2/1G - Retail
Price: $87.55
Rosewill RFA80L-B 80mm Sleeve Blue LED Light Case Cooling Fan - Retail (x3)
Price: $2.99 ($8.97)
Thermaltake A1442 DuctingMod for 80mm CPU Fan - Retail
Price: 4.99
BELKIN F8E066 Professional Computer Tool Kit (36-Piece) - Retail

Price: $31.49

Total: $1488.85
In Canadian: $1,753.22

For anyone who doesn't knwo I am building this form scratch becasue it is cheaper. ALl places charge an arm and two legs for building it becasue it isn;t aleays easy. I have fixed alot of things, and some more comments USB sound card has its own mini processer, and draws from the sound card naything else. It is a higher quality sound than speakers.
You will notice I added extra's fans to help peopel clue on that this is a do it yourself project.

I am also making this computer upgrade easy, everyhting can be replaced or added to it, after a little while I wil add a second video card and upgrade to a dule core processer once they can be used better and cheaper. Also I will be adding another GB of ram, I am trying to keep this cheap and good, its not easy. but 1750 CND is really good and most people can afford it.

One last thing why would a platform system be cheaper???

EDIT:

On the headset part, I am not looking for a cheap VOIP solution, i what top quality sound, I have try them before and it will blow you away, it is recommended by every m,ajor ratings website and magizine!
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 6  [ 78 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: