Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Grammar not Grammer!!!
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Mr. T

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:33 pm   Post subject: Grammar not Grammer!!!

Rawr!!! I've seen this error far too many times!!! Evil or Very Mad
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yep, the problem is that most people spell it closer to what they say, which is "gram-mehr" not "gram-mahr".
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well i think we all know that.. Wink
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

And why do u have a problem with peoleop spelling it wrong?
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Boo-chan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:00 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Because a language is only useful in that it allows the exchange of information between entities. This is only possible if everyone engaging in the exchange understands the meaning of the words used. Spelling mistakes serves to degrade the usefulness of the language, cause misunderstanding and confusion.

Its the same principle as in computer languages. Syntax has to be spelled correctly or the code you write will not work. Humans are more flexible so they can absorb more errors and still understand the general idea behind the message, but specifics are lost.

Hence, since it is assumed communication is ment to transfer information it should be as clear and precise as possible. But it is a scale so while the occasional spelling mistake doesn't cause too much problems, things like !337 5*34|< can.
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:05 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i'm with hacker dan on this, i really dont care if i spell correctly or not, it's not like im being marked on it
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Boo-chan wrote:
Because a language is only useful in that it allows the exchange of information between entities. This is only possible if everyone engaging in the exchange understands the meaning of the words used. Spelling mistakes serves to degrade the usefulness of the language, cause misunderstanding and confusion.

You my firend have just missed the hole point of language. Languge is not about spelling, garamer or anything eletes like that. Languge is a means, and a means with out an end is pointless, abousultly and oterly pointless. Juging poeleop or the message they send based on there spelling or garame useage is ingorent and pig headed. Littoray citrisumes based on such things are blind to what the author is trying to convay. It is not the spelling or garamer that makes a post it is the meaning behinded thess litte typed letters conustered in a semie logical way. In my optioan if you can under stand what is being side and the message that is trying to be convaded then spelling and garamer are fine. For exmaple like this topic was started if u used ether of thos spellings the person whould know what u are talking about and in the end that is what matters.

Edit: Also when u juge peoleop on the basies of garamer and spelling u are not consider some things. Like the fact that not every one speaks this languge as there pirmeary one and could be new to it. Also there are alot of leraning disbility that effect the ability to spell and in no way effect intergence and in some cases aucatly increases some integence realtey abilitys. You whould not make fun of some one in a wheel chair so why whould you some one with a learning disabiltiy?

Edit Edit: I am sory for seting up that troll but mr. pwend started it and i have a cause to fight =p
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
1of42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:16 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Boo-Chan is right in that once two people cannot understand what each other are saying, be that because of spelling or whatever else, they are no longer speaknig the same language - hence we should strive to maintain correctness in our communications.

And, Dan, just out of interest, do you TRY to type that badly? Because, frankly, I've never seen anyone make that many typos unless it was on purpose.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

1of42 wrote:
Boo-Chan is right in that once two people cannot understand what each other are saying, be that because of spelling or whatever else, they are no longer speaknig the same language - hence we should strive to maintain correctness in our communications.

And, Dan, just out of interest, do you TRY to type that badly? Because, frankly, I've never seen anyone make that many typos unless it was on purpose.

1st i whould like to ask u a question, do you go up to kids in wheel chairs and ask them if they realy can not walk or they are just fakeing it?
Boo-chan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

People that can't walk use wheelchairs.
People who can't spell should use spellcheckers.

Besides the matter of unclear meaning, spelling/grammar mistakes serve to cause an unfavorable impression of the speaker and the ideas they are expressing. That's fine if you don't mind that people are unconciously doubting the ideas that you are expressing, but if you want them to actually fully consider what you are trying to say you have to coach your message into a form that will make them do this. In other words, if you want people to listen to you; you have to conform to their standards of communication.
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Boo-chan wrote:
People that can't walk use wheelchairs.
People who can't spell should use spellcheckers.

Nice coment from some one who obvesly has no understanding of the problem. Using a spellcheck whould only put in many spelled corectly words that do not belong. U whould get words that sound simmaior but are not the same meaning and it whould throw u off even more. This menthod aucatly gets my point acorces. This is apreantly true since u could reply to it.

Boo-chan wrote:

Besides the matter of unclear meaning, spelling/grammar mistakes serve to cause an unfavorable impression of the speaker and the ideas they are expressing. That's fine if you don't mind that people are unconciously doubting the ideas that you are expressing, but if you want them to actually fully consider what you are trying to say you have to coach your message into a form that will make them do this. In other words, if you want people to listen to you; you have to conform to their standards of communication.

If u hosntly think that way i realy do not whont u reading what i have to type. As i was saying if u are juging poeleop on spelling and not what they are saying then u are a very ingorent person. That is like saying some ones option on math is though of less b/c they can not talk noramly. Hawking whould be a bit pissed at you there.......
Computerilliterate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:46 am   Post subject: What the hell...

For those of you with the severe issue on spelling.. WHAT THE HELL?
I mean half the time you speak in a godamned CREATED language, and you have the audacity to bitch about proper spelling of the english language?
Jesus Christ. Can you not understand that when someone types " fcuk you and go away" they mean "fuck you and go away"?
I mean.. it must be something the ladies type to you frequently enough.

So long as you understand the message, or its general meaning.. fuck off and die. Keep your god forsaken comments to yourself and leave whoever typed it alone. It is not like the message is how to disarm a frickin' bomb. Go find somewhere else to get your rocks off.
Maybe consider bathing and with any luck, working on your fucking social skills.
Boo-chan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:14 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:

Nice coment from some one who obvesly has no understanding of the problem. Using a spellcheck whould only put in many spelled corectly words that do not belong. U whould get words that sound simmaior but are not the same meaning and it whould throw u off even more. This menthod aucatly gets my point acorces. This is apreantly true since u could reply to it.

Why do you spell the way you do? It doesn't appear to be caused by typing errors; something more along the lines of phonetically spelling?

And yes I can figure out what your trying to say, but it takes a lot of thinking sometimes. As a result, it takes me longer to read your posts than someones elses and I'm never sure if I completely understand what your trying to say.

Why do people not use leet? Because it is difficult to read easily... it is perfectly readable as long as you don't mind spending 3 or 4 minutes to figure it out, but who really reads a post that is all in leet? If I see a post in leet, I don't read it unless I know who the poster is. But that's just my opinion. I know I make spelling errors, but I try to avoid them.

I was considering writing this all in leet, but that would be rather silly. But if I had would you have read it?
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Well i know spelling errors are not as bad as peoleop who do not know how to use the quote comand right. And who side anything about 1337? That is completly difrent, that is going out of your way to complicate things, what u are talking about is juging peoleop on things they can not chage.
Boo-chan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:22 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Using leet makes it difficult for people to understand what you are trying to say, spelling mistakes do the same thing.

Hence they can be viewed in the same sense. And anyone can learn how to spell, well anyone who can learn how to program. Or do you mispell your syntax as well?

And you're the one being judgemental about me leaving out my quotations. But if I had spelled it qote and used quotation marks would it have been ok?
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 6  [ 86 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: