Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [Review] Dell Dj Ditty vs. Apple iPod shuffle
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:02 am   Post subject: [Review] Dell Dj Ditty vs. Apple iPod shuffle

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.VS.Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

How well could Dell compete? Lets compare the two:

Price:
    Equally priced at just $99 USD each, Dell doesn't offer a cheaper alternative, though it could stand a chance if it could offer something better than iPod culture.

Specs:
Space: At 512 MB each, space looks equivalent on paper. Though Dell has this interesting footnote that says "total accessable capacity variest depending on operating environment". Is Dell loading their software into advertised storage space? Oh oh..

Alternative space sizes: iPod shuffle comes in 512MB and 1GB models. Other models extend the line with Nano available in 2GB and 4GB varieties. Dell does not have current plans for larger flash capacity. It's 512MB or straight to hard-drive based players.

Battery life: Dell - 14 hours. Shuffle - 12 hours. Those tests are always sketchy as ads don't mention how tests were conducted. Expect Dell's number to underperform though, as the LCD screen is a constant additional battery drain source.

Supported Audio Formats:
Dell - WMA, MP3, AUDIBLE.
Shuffle - AAC, Protected AAC, MP3, MP3 VBR, Audible, Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV (and non-DRMed WMA).

Size:
Dell measures at 3.6" by 1.1" by 0.5"
Shuffle is just 3.3" by 0.98" by 0.33".
Shuffle is smaller in every dimention, and that's even for a larger capacity 1GB model Smile

Weight:
Dell - 1.29 ounces
Shuffle - 0.78 ounces. wow

Includes:
Dell includes Music Match 10.1, ear buds, extra caps, lanyard, users manual, guide.
Shuffle includes iTunes, ear buds, cap, lanyard, electronic documentation, guide.

Includes are pretty much on par, comparing the software is a review of its own. It should be noted that Shuffle's guide fits nicely on a business card. It just works.

Warranty: I've heard horror stories from Dan about his Dell products falling appart the day after his warranty expired. Good thing Dj Ditty offers 90 day limited warranty on its player.

Could shuffle match that? No contest - all iPods come with a one full year of limited warranty.

Other: Dell offers an integrated FM tuner and a 26x11mm LCD screen -- large enough to see Dell's logo on the display.

Shuffle loads pod casts, and its lack of display was argued to be of an advantage to the design, though ultimatly it's up to the user to decide. Dell's tiny screen will be able to display 2 words over 2 lines.

So for an equal price, Dell seems to underperform in just about everything, and from technical perspective offers just a LCD screen that's tiny enough to not be of much use. It also has a FM tuner. That doesn't seem to be very compeditive. iPod line is established on the market. Maybe Dell can offer some new hip culture/trend/something?

Dude, we're getting a dell!
They are back
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Check out Dell's promotional website. Pay attention to the language and images. Wow. I especially like the following quote from the specs page "I'll be honest, I don't know what 'mm' is. I think it's metric? Do people use that system?"

I wonder if anyone will bother making accessories for Dell's Ditty. There are plenty for iPod Shuffle.

I just don't see how Dell could compete.

Resources: http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050921_171029.html
http://www.dellditty.com/
http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/

djditty.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.21 KB
 Viewed:  3684 Time(s)

djditty.jpg

dell_dj_ditty.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.27 KB
 Viewed:  3684 Time(s)

dell_dj_ditty.jpg

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:29 am   Post subject: (No subject)

wow they just made a fool of themselves.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:53 am   Post subject: (No subject)

They got people talking, though. Here's the conversation they'll start, and why this will still be a win.

"Have you seen that new Dell MP3 player?"
"Huh? Dell makes MP3 players?"
"Oh, yeah, but no one in their right mind would buy one. It's like they're trying to have fat, balding, middle-aged men in business suits design a device for kids. It's almost painful."
"They should probably just stick to what they do well... making PCs."

Did you catch the critical part? No one wants to completely dismiss Dell, so if they trash this thing, they have to make up for it with praise in another area, even if Dell doesn't deserve suh praise.
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm... have you used the Dell mp3 player? Or are you basing your review on facts from websites, perhaps with a slight bias towards Apple?
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, facts aren't a bad basis on which to build an initial opinion of something.

Additionally, there appears to be very little to set this player apart from the myriad other flash players on the marketr in terms of functionality and form factor.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I haven't actually used Dell's player. If you happen to have one, you could mail it to me for a more in-depth review.
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I agree, I just can't shake the feeling of the review being "Dell is ghey, Apple ownz." Why pick this player to compare to the iPod?

EDIT: was in response to wtd, got sidetracked before submitting.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Because there was an article I came across through Google News (linked in the review under resources) stating that Dell will be compeating with Shuffle. I was interested to find out how well they could possibly do.

Though was wtd points out, Dell might have other plans for this release.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
codemage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:29 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
perhaps with a slight bias towards Apple?

Seems to be a theme. Wink

A few IMHO comments:
- battery life tests are entirely subjective. I don't think any brand of mp3 player actually performs to it's stated battery useability.
- A lot of the difference in specs has to do with the inclusion of a display. Some users couldn't do without one - and so must put up with more size, weight & battery drain, etc.

Strongly in favor of the shuffle, though - Apple has the best customer service record in the business. I've heard more horror stories from Dell than from any other electronics company, on the other hand. I will never, ever buy a product from Dell.

(I have one friend who had to actually sue Dell in order to get a valid response from their Customer Service people. They settled).
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:17 pm   Post subject: Re: [Review] Dell Dj Ditty vs. Apple iPod shuffle

This review is retarded. You don't own, nor have you used one of the products.

1. "total accessable capacity variest depending on operating environment"

Apple says the same thing. It's because parts of flash memory burn out, and no matter what, you have to put files on to keep a song database.

2. Alternate space.
I thought we were comparing the two players, not Apple's entire line of mp3 players with one of Dell's.

3. Battery life.
Dell - 14 hours. Shuffle - 12 hours. Those tests are always sketchy as ads don't mention how tests were conducted. Expect Dell's number to underperform though, as the LCD screen is a constant additional battery drain source.

The LCD's drain on the battery is included in this figure. Look at Sony's mp3 player. 50 hours, and it has a screen.

4. Supported Audio Formats.
Apple just converts everything to their format. You can do the same with Dell. Besides, who uses anything except for mp3 (or ogg, but neither supports that)?

5. Size
Dell's has a screen.

6. Warranty.
iPod Shuffles come with a 90 day warrenty.

Again, this "review" is stupid. I like my Shuffle, but I tend not to discredit products that I haven't used.

EDIT:
My buddy has one of the new 1GB Sony mp3 players, and wow is it nice. 50 hours battery life (rechargeable) at least and a really slick interface. More expensive though, but if you're looking to buy an mp3 player, I'd go with that over the Shuffle (or get an iPod Nano). Shuffle was cool, but there're better products out there now.
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

most ipod users should be using AAC.. (it's far superior to mp3 or ogg)
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: