Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Compsci downtime+roll back+eveything_else_compsci
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Token

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:06 am   Post subject: Compsci downtime+roll back+eveything_else_compsci

wow, we lost a lot of stuff! I think all the way back before school started! Still no news post, I'm sure we can expect one coming. Anyone know what happened?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:29 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Mad Damn, Damn, Damn! Mad

No clue what happened.
It wasn't the same problems before, that was just over crowding right?

We did lose alot of good stuff to.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:46 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah we did lose a few things, but it's no biggie. Everyone probabily got the information they were looking for, they juss cant look back on it Confused.

Oh well . .
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:14 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Well everything since the 14th.. so about 5 day's worth of. Crap.

Last rollback crash was just 3 months ago. And 6 months prior to that we've been DoSed and taken down for over a week. Damn it. Expect the next downtime to be in... 1.5 months? Confused @#$% Evil or Very Mad

I'm looking at some site stats
site control panel wrote:

Disk usage 1262.88 Megabytes
SQL Disk usage 106.23 Megabytes
Disk space available 785.12 Megabytes
Bandwidth usage (current month) 7.39 Megabytes

Looks like our host has reset (or simply lost) bandwidth counter. Anyways..

Who's in favour of moving everything to TextDrive? I have just 1GB of disk space and will be hosting other projects there as well. Though compsci's MySQL is just 100 MB. I'm not sure how we have over 1GB of files. I believe that at least half of those are Dan's personal anyways.
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:16 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Thats not a bad idea, even 40$ a month isn't bad, there must be hundreds of active users that even if everyoen gave 1 or 2 dollars every few months we can be set for years to come.
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:46 am   Post subject: (No subject)

The problem is... who do you trust to collect any funds? Does compsci.ca incorporate as a non-profit?
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Ya, I know what you mean, did you see that post about who to trust, the sites finance guy stole the crash and hacked thr site.

I guess you could always set up a paypal account and then have it wired directly to an account which then a host site who be sent moneyu every month by computers.

But then there is the non-profit part! I am not sure about that.
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:02 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, a few compsci.ca veterans get together, form a company, get a bank account that belongs strictly to that company rather than any one of them individually. Members of the site then send funds to that company.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:11 am   Post subject: (No subject)

That would work, put then who would form it?

Maybe it should be like a board of directors that are elected, that would be interesting.

No we can't do that, then someone whom has real people skills could join and get a postion on the board, if we did that then you would need to have requirments.
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:23 am   Post subject: (No subject)

It'd likely be a Limited Liability Partnership/Company formed by three or four people, not the community as a whole.
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ya, that wopuld be best, it would be like Tony,HackerDan,wtd and someone else like another good mod.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Or I just take on a dictatorship position.. whatever works best Twisted Evil
Token

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Tony wrote:
Or I just take on a dictatorship position.. whatever works best Twisted Evil

Hah, you go for it Tony, I'd support you, providing theres somthing in it for me Laughing

Well switching hosts sounds like the thing to do, or maybe some sort of backup if these are planned downtimes, and if you do have knowlege of these downtimes, could you let us know? because if we have good conversation going we could always save off what everyone said and just paste it back out of a text editor after into one window.

heres an idea, maybe we could get a University or college to host. Would that be possible? just a thought...
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Token wrote:
Hah, you go for it Tony, I'd support you, providing theres somthing in it for me Laughing

You get to keep your account Twisted Evil

I don't believe those are planned downtowns, else the host would make more recent backups.

And we'd need to start an officially recognized club at the University before even asking for hosting. I suppose it could be possible at Waterloo when enough members make it here. Though even then we'd have to locate a dedicated box to run.
Token

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Tony wrote:
I don't believe those are planned downtowns

Hah, downtowns, all of the sudden the movie Without a Paddle comes to mind. I plan to go to Waterloo, I'm really trying to do good this year and get good grades. Is it hard to get in? what were ur marks when you were accepted?
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 6  [ 90 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: