Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Personalize Google
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:47 pm   Post subject: Personalize Google

www.google.ca/ig

Now you can do much more all from the same Google search page. Here's how I've got mine set up:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Who knows, because of this, I might actually start to get informed by reading Slashdot and other articles.

And there's a host of other things you can add to it. Just click on "Add Content" and a sidebar will appear with all the things you can add to it.

As a last note of new Google features (this one isn't so new, but it is very nice, especially when combined with this), you can now send all your email through your gmail account through another account. For example, I have my compsci.ca email, but I don't like the interface. So I set it to forward my mail to gmail, and I set gmail to send through compsci.
This personalized Google page is another incentive to use gmail, as it gives you a preview of your inbox. You can check your email often without having to go to the trouble of signing in, running an email program like Thunderbird constantly, or leaving a email tab open.
When checking email from this preview, it doesn't open your account like normal. It just shows the email itself (and conversations linked with it) and a reply box. Everything loads nice and fast, even when you're on dial up. Smile

personalize_google.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.83 KB
 Viewed:  1165 Time(s)

personalize_google.png

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I've known about this for a while. I find it very usefull, It saves me time from having to goto to my inbox to check my mail, or go from site to site for articles.
The only problem with it is I can't open my inbox from the Inbox link. It might just be Opera that causes that problem

Here's that mine looks like.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

timmytheturtle wrote:

The only problem with it is I can't open my inbox from the Inbox link. It might just be Opera that causes that problem

Works fine for me in Firefox. Smile

I'm going to add bookmarks. I've also enabled personalized searching. Curious.
Neo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

How do you get rid of the "edit" and x? to make it look more integrated with teh page? Very cool though. Very Happy
Neo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Okay this is weird, if I refresh the temperature changes... Confused
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Neo wrote:
How do you get rid of the "edit" and x? to make it look more integrated with teh page? Very cool though. Very Happy

I don't think you can. And yes it is kool. I Like it, and it's been my homepage since I first found out it existed

Neo wrote:
Okay this is weird, if I refresh the temperature changes...

I've noticed that before, I've also noticed that the temperature is sometimes slightly inaccurate with The Weather Network's readings. But I don't really mind
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

This is pretty old XD but I use it to... i'll post a ss when I can.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Amailer wrote:
This is pretty old XD but I use it to... i'll post a ss when I can.

Old, perhaps, but important enough to merit a post. Just to ensure all the good compsci.ca members are aware of something so awesome. Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: