Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Compsci downtime+roll back+eveything_else_compsci
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright, thanks. One more thing (I know I've asked this before, but... I'm getting old, damnit!), what was so wrong about it being hosted on University servers? I always thought it'd be safe to assume they'd be pretty reliable, would probably have lots of space, and bandwidth shouldn't be an issue. As an added bonus, if you needed to talk to them about something, you could do so in person as opposed to sending an email or waiting for them to answer a phone call.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Tony wrote:
TextDrive covers everything but 4GB space. I dont think we need that much.

Our database is 100MB in size.

I have a hunch that compiled turing uploads make up a bulk next to Dan's uploads.

Realy? well unforntly that 4gb is a big one on the list, i will look in to them if u can give me a link.

Also for the recored my files only take up 348mb, and they inculde files or parts of the site and for other users on the site then just me. Also they inculded files that are runing other sites and serivces for not just site but some of our afflites and partnerships.

the user files uploaded throw phpbb take up 320mb, the mail system is using 295.70mb, our log files take up 80mb, there is about another 100~200mb in scripts, images and such that are runing the site, the user posts (when gziped as they are in the db) take up 104.1 MB. But there are other dbs and stuff that take up more space in mysql.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

back onto mp3 players.. i currently own the new sony NWE507-S, the one with OLE.. its beautiful, i noe that its heavy as hell, but the screen is just too damn attractive. I dont mind an ipod shuffle, but i really wanted an fm tuner in my player, and i didnt want to get a hard drive player because i use it when i work out and i dont like to hear remixes of my songs everytime i run. Also, it has an lithium Ion battery that lasts up to 50 hours.. i usually get around 35 for about an hour and half of charge. the only bad thing is it wont allow direct encoding... and u have to use sonic stage to transfer files... Evil or Very Mad

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen. Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen. Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Coutsos wrote:
Alright, thanks. One more thing (I know I've asked this before, but... I'm getting old, damnit!), what was so wrong about it being hosted on University servers? I always thought it'd be safe to assume they'd be pretty reliable, would probably have lots of space, and bandwidth shouldn't be an issue. As an added bonus, if you needed to talk to them about something, you could do so in person as opposed to sending an email or waiting for them to answer a phone call.

1. they can termiante serivce at any time with out warning

2. if u get kicked out of uni or finshed uni your acount is terminated, some times instatly with out warning.

3. most unis aucatly do not give u that much space nor the php and mysql suport we need. Also they ushely cap bandwith or just shut u down when u hit so much.

also breaks thess rules i posted: 3, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and maybe 19, 17, 4 depending on how u see it
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I found a host that i think i like and we maybe chaging to if the borad agreas with me on this. It compleys to my guild lines other then 15 and 20.

The satas are:

Disk Space/Bandwidth

* Unlimited Storage Space
* 50 GB of Bandwidth

Domain Name

* Unlimited Sub Domains
* Unlimited Parked Domains

Site Management Tools

* Control Panel
* Site Builder
* 24x7 FTP Access
* FrontPage® Extensions
* Online File Manager
* Web Mail
* Custom Error Pages
* Hot Link Protection

Free Software/Scripts

* 50+ Installed Scripts -New!
* Guestbook
* Bulletin Boards
* Form Mail
* Counter
* Blogging Software
* Shopping Carts
* Complete List

Security Features

* SSL Server
* Password Protected Directories

Fanatical Support Team

* 24x7 Online Support
* Telephone Support
* Simple Flash Tutorials
* Simple Documentation

Email Services

* Unlimited Email Accounts
* Unlimited Forwarding
* Unlimited Email Aaliases
* Catch-all Default Account
* Unlimited Mailing Lists
* Unlimited Autoresponders
* Spam Protection

E-commerce Ready

* Shopping Cart
* SSL Certs
* Your own CGI-BIN
* Detailed Web Statistics
* Free Search Engine Submission

Programming/Database Software

* Perl
* PHP
* MySQL
* Python
* SSI
* HTML
* Flash

Network/Data Center

* Unix/Linux Servers
* Multiple OC-3 Connections
* Apache Webserver
* Cisco Switches and Routers
* Battery Backup (UPS)
* Diesel Backup Generator
* Redundant HVAC system
* Video camera surveillance
* 24x7 Network Monitoring
* 24x7 Server Monitoring
* Weekly/Monthly Backups
* 99.9% uptime
Token

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

woah, that sounds really great, what are the drawbacks?
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, it seems good, bit would it allow the same flexability that we have now? Modifying everything, etc? It would suck to lose some features to gain others.

For storage space, I am sure that there are many pointless uploads, and if really needed, much of that could be eliminated. The problem is filtering it all out.
rdrake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I've been very happy being hosted by A Small Orange.

They feature:
  • Unlimited POP3/IMAP Mail Accounts
  • Unlimited MySQL Databases
  • Unlimited Mailing Lists
  • Unlimited Email Forwarders
  • Unlimited Subdomains
  • Unlimited Parked and Addon Domains
  • Unlimited FTP Accounts
  • SSH Access
  • Ruby support
  • Cpanel
  • Fantastico
  • etc.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
1of42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Going with the MP3 player theme - would the iPod Nano show up as a removable drive under Windows Explorer?
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:
Yeah, it seems good, bit would it allow the same flexability that we have now? Modifying everything, etc? It would suck to lose some features to gain others.

For storage space, I am sure that there are many pointless uploads, and if really needed, much of that could be eliminated. The problem is filtering it all out.

Same features and some more in that respect.......

What are the size specks for A Small orange?
rdrake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
What are the size specks for A Small orange?

Virtual Hosting:
  • Plan - Space - Bandwidth - Price
  • Tiny - 75 MB - 3 GB - $30/year
  • Small - 400 MB - 10GB - $5/month
  • Medium - 1000 MB - 25 GB - $10/month
  • Large - 2500 MB - 60 GB - $20/month
  • Super - 4500 MB - 100 GB - #30/month

They also have very fast support which will answer your question in 1 - 15 minutes. The prices I've listed are in USD.

In order to use Ruby on Rails, you'll need to request SSH access which can easily be done by e-mailing their support with what server you're on and your username.
brenn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Token wrote:
I plan to go to Waterloo, I'm really trying to do good this year and get good grades. Is it hard to get in? what were ur marks when you were accepted?

< 90. But I'm female. They are striving for an equal gender representation.
Boo-chan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

From an engineering perspective, I believe they have a long way to go in this respect.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Nevermind
brenn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Boo-chan wrote:
From an engineering perspective, I believe they have a long way to go in this respect.

Yeah... I mean, our (former) class just lost 6% of the female population. I suppose tho, that MTE 2010 just gained like... 4- 10%.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 5 of 6  [ 90 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: