Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 The Turing Problem (Here's What happened with 4.0.5)
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:36 pm   Post subject: The Turing Problem (Here's What happened with 4.0.5)

Anyways I was talking to my teacher today and I got the story why the turing upgrade link is borken and such.

The patch was never publity release, it was only sent to the Beta testing schools. Some how it got out there on the web and everyone got it, but it was still in the Beta testing so there were glitches lots of them.

Becasue it got out Tom West canceled the upgrade and he won't release a new one in the future to my knowledge as a punishment to whoever released it.

With their version of Java know there is a good chance of turing falling off because someone did this. Personal if I had a choice between Ready and Turing I would go with Turing.

Shocked !!!As a last thought I hope it was no-one on Compsci that released this!!!Shocked
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Interesting...

But didn't the update link actually work once?
lyam_kaskade

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

punishment eh? too bad MS didn't punish people everytime their programs are released on the web...

But if the schools were willing to use illegal Beta versions from the web, then why wouldn't they just use a real programming language (for free)?

Or if you just mean students using it at home, wouldn't the bulk of money from the Turing project come from licensing to schools, not students (not to mention that students already used illegal copies at home).

On another note, where is that Tom West character? He seems to have dissappeared after about five posts...
Neo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan should discontinue support for turing on this site as punishment for punishing us.... Laughing That'll teach mr.west since this is the biggest turing support forum. Twisted Evil
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Neo wrote:
Hacker Dan should discontinue support for turing on this site as punishment for punishing us.... Laughing That'll teach mr.west since this is the biggest turing support forum. Twisted Evil

Brilliant!

Party in the Ruby Forum! 8)

lyam_kaskade wrote:

On another note, where is that Tom West character? He seems to have dissappeared after...

I stopped asking questions about inheritence and polymorphism in Turing.

This is quite sad news. There are some things Turing could really use (such as flexies within records). This makes me think that it could happen, but it won't.
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don;t think discontinuing Turing support will help any, mainly because they have Ready, did anyone every notice that Ready got big in school's that used Turing about 2 years ago when this happened?

The problem was is that a student or student's stole a Beta form their school and released it, when it was only suppose to go to Beta Tester's mainly school's some few people, but only ones they had met in person!

What do you mean Tom West has disappeared, I asure you he hasn't, mainly because I just had a conversation with him to day about engineering class, that is one thing they do well is that.

The Link was open to Everyone but only Beta Tester's could upgrade at the time, you needed a password. the link was shutdown before a final release, if you got if off there then you must have had the Password!

The reason why HoltSoft stop releasing Turing is because they are a small company they have one office in downtown Toronto on Queens Street, they aren't big so a free version would hurt them. That buy the way is the only reason they you had to pay.

By the way no one has commented on my last statement of my previous post! You know if the person had the guts he should amitt that he did wrong.

As a final note, Turing was at its peak a few years ago and it was under consideration to make it national and international as well as free once they worked out a few more bug's, but because they weren't ready they dropped it instead because some one stole it. They were considering selling distribution rights to mircosoft. But that ****head or heads had to ruin it.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

StarGateSG-1 wrote:

What do you mean Tom West has disappeared, I asure you he hasn't, mainly because I just had a conversation with him to day about engineering class, that is one thing they do well is that.

From the forums, he means. He joined for a brief period of time.
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Really, maybe I will ask him about that, or maybe he left because the event happened about the time this site was 6 months old?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

StarGateSG-1 wrote:
I don;t think discontinuing Turing support will help any, mainly because they have Ready, did anyone every notice that Ready got big in school's that used Turing about 2 years ago when this happened?

The problem was is that a student or student's stole a Beta form their school and released it, when it was only suppose to go to Beta Tester's mainly school's some few people, but only ones they had met in person!

The Link was open to Everyone but only Beta Tester's could upgrade at the time, you needed a password. the link was shutdown before a final release, if you got if off there then you must have had the Password!

The reason why HoltSoft stop releasing Turing is because they are a small company they have one office in downtown Toronto on Queens Street, they aren't big so a free version would hurt them. That buy the way is the only reason they you had to pay.

By the way no one has commented on my last statement of my previous post! You know if the person had the guts he should amitt that he did wrong.

As a final note, Turing was at its peak a few years ago and it was under consideration to make it national and international as well as free once they worked out a few more bug's, but because they weren't ready they dropped it instead because some one stole it

I was reading your post and considering actually discussing the topic with you but...

StarGateSG-1 wrote:
They were considering selling distribution rights to mircosoft. But that ****head or heads had to ruin it.

I'm sorry to say, I am now convinced that you are full-- to the brim-- with shit.
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:11 am   Post subject: (No subject)

why do you think that? even Java wasn't always free, some smaller languages were like ruby. And it wasn't going to be right away it a couple of years. It would be happening about now because it got messed up about 2 years ago!

Distrubtion Rights! nothing more, if they wnat international they must go with someone who can. And you never know I only said this was under consideration, maybe it wouldn't have happened, maybe turing would still be falling off, I am just telling you want I was told. I am the messager nothing more nothing less.

If you wnat we can forget about that last part and say for discussion sake that they aren't that stupid.

By the way the guy who came up with that Idea was fired soon after.
lyam_kaskade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

StarGate-SG1 wrote:

even Java wasn't always free, some smaller languages were like ruby. And it wasn't going to be right away it a couple of years. It would be happening about now because it got messed up about 2 years ago!

Can a language actually not be free? I thought it was just the IDE that was licensed, not the actual language itself.

Furthermore, Turing isn't actually a programming language. Turing is an environment that compiles Turing "code" into C++ code and then into machine code. [/quote]
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Java was always free... Oak was it's original name.. even back then it was free..

It's not free to distribute pre-installed in OS's... but you are free to distribute the installer..
shorthair

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

It Was Me. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy But I Stole Nothing. I Just So Happened To Find A Download Link From The Turing Web Page. I Did Not Copy Steal Or Hack Anything. I even Checked For Updates After THe Install Laughing Laughing we all remember hat bug hehehe
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:48 am   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
Java was always free... Oak was it's original name.. even back then it was free..

It's not free to distribute pre-installed in OS's... but you are free to distribute the installer..

Free as in beer, but not as in speech.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, this topic was locked last time, and I wanted to say... All of this is all and well, anti-Turing and all, but none of this has been confirmed so I wouldn't jump to any immediate conclusions.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: