Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Still VC++6.0
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
apomb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:56 pm   Post subject: Still VC++6.0

wtd ... you are going to hate this, but at college, we use M$VC++ 6.0 Sad
and well, im happy because thats what i learned in highschool. Any advice on how to stay current while still learning in this course?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Use GCC at home.

There is no way to write standards-compliant C++ with VC++ 6.0. Or rather, since I don't know everything, there might be... but it would be more trouble than it's worth, and the hacks might well not be implemented on your instructors' computers anyway.

If you write code that compiles fine with GCC, but not with VC++ 6.0, point this out to your instructors and instruct them to research the myriad problems with their compiler of choice.
apomb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

but how am i supposed to write GCC code if im learning VC++ at school? ... i know that standards compliant code, as you have said isnt possible on M$VC++ ... so how do i go about writing GCC code and testing it?
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You write code, compile it, then run it. Smile

For the most part, unless you deal with the Win32 API, the code will be the same. VC+ 6.0's problems deal mostly with its implementation of the STL.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

So, just make your Win32 API progs using VB6, and the rest try and keep with what will work on other compilers.
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: