Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 new iTunes!!!
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:30 pm   Post subject: new iTunes!!!

and it pwns.. it's super responsive (yes, yes the windows one!!)... and the look is crazy... looks like a dashboard widget... cool!!! totally cool!... apple said they have improved the search engine... hmm

it also comes with Quicktime 7.0.2... it too is much stabler than the previous version (yes the windows one)... and it plays HD-Videos!

edit: sweet!!! do a seach for ur favourite song.. you'll see what apple means by an improvement Wink soo damn cool
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I will try it anyways even though I don't like iTunes cause I need the update to quicktime.
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

got you excited?!! now for the bad side of things... for the windows version: scrolling through ur playlist using the scroll wheel.. is actually slower than before... viewing smart playlists is not as zippy as one would expect.. hmm.. framerates of the visualizer is still as low at 24fps..
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I wouldn't say that I was excited.

Scrolling through my playlist was exteremly choppy, I don't really care for "smart" playlists, and I never use visulations.

Other then that it didn't seem to bad, but I'm still not going to use it.
Genesis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Works well for me (on OS X 10.4).

Quick scrolling, searching, and overall great functionality.

I like the new look, though it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the Mac GUI.
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the mac version has always been flawless. Wink
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Genesis wrote:
I like the new look, though it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the Mac GUI.

It's an extension of the unified titlebar look present in apps like Mail and System Preferences.

Also, an interesting theory I heard on the diversity of GUI styles in Mac OS X is that it makes the different apps easier to identify at a glance. Not saying I agree with that idea... but it sounds plausible.

If you want consistency, you want a Gnome desktop.
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

consistency is borring... (when it comes to a desktop).. hence apps were made skinable... and desktops were made skinable...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

When discussing consistency, we should be careful to distinguish look and feel. Feel definitely should be consistent. There's room to manuever on look.
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ditto... it would be a horrible nightmare to have my OS change its feel every day.. Laughing
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I mean, imagine if all of a sudden one app decided that in addition to looking a bit different, clicking the up scroll button scrolled down.
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i tried to add in the 'current song i'm listening to..' feature to my website.. unfortunatly on my mac i can't get access to the windowing system from a cgi script running through apache... (i know there are ways to work around this, but they seem too complex and not worth the effort)... nevertheless here's the script:
AppleScript:
on isApplicationActive(a)
    tell application "Finder" to set is_active to get processes contains {application process a}
    return is_active
end isApplicationActive

set output to false

if isApplicationActive("iTunes") then
    tell application "iTunes"
        if player state is playing then
            set isPlayingStream to (get current stream title) is not missing value
            if isPlayingStream then
                set track_name to (get current stream title)
                set track_loc to " @" & (get name of current track)
            else
                set track_name to (get name of current track)
                set track_loc to ""
            end if
            set output to track_name & track_loc
        end if
    end tell
end if

set the result to output

notice that it is necessary to get access to the windowing system (Finder) so as to determine if iTunes is currently running...

if anyone can figure out another way to determine if an app is running or not.. oh please do post..
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:13 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I downloaded iTunes 4.9 like three days ago and couldn't figure out what was different. Yeah, go timing. This one looks pretty cool.
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:01 am   Post subject: (No subject)

cool. here's the windows version:
JavaScript:
var iTunesApp = WScript.CreateObject("iTunes.Application");

var nameOfCurrentTrack = iTunesApp.CurrentTrack.Name;

WScript.Echo("I'm currently listening to: " + nameOfCurrentTrack);

assuming you saved it as test.js then you can run it like this:
code:
cscript test.js
for console output or like this
code:
wscript test.js
for GUI output

so why is is shorter? well for one it's writtin in the JavaScript programming language.. and then again it does not check to see if iTunes if open or not.. if it isin't... it automatically opens it up for you.. it also does not check to see if you a stream or not..
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The new iPod Nano looks pretty sweet too. I think this means that Sony did pretty well with their mp3 walkman (which I have to admit, is pretty awesome too).
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: