Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Lots of Python talk lately
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:39 pm   Post subject: Lots of Python talk lately

I've noticed a fair amount of Python talk among compsci.ca members and I'm wondering if we could maybe extend the Ruby forums to include Python talk.

Anyone interested in this?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

How about turning the Ruby forum into a generic "Scripting Languages" forum that would encompass Ruby, Perl, Python, etc?
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

'Scripting language' is a controversial term, which does not necessarily describe these languages. Using it in this context would be, if nothing else, confusing.
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yes very true... but yet Python, Ruby and Perl are in fact quite commonly known as scripting languages... hmm

well... i guess the original definition of a scripting language applied to any language that could replace the archaic shell script... i.e any language that supported the "#!/usr/bin/lang_interpreter" line..

but the meaning has changed over the years... now a scripting language is any lanuage that can be used within another language.. like the ones mentioned above and many more, including Sleep, Boo, and Groovy.

Yep and i think having a generic scripting language section would be great.. but only if we adhere to the definition above (or something similar)... but we can have an exception to the rule: if language that has it's own sub-category, then posts relating to that language should be made within that subsection and not it the generic scripting-language section
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ask a hundred people and you'll get a hundred different definitions of 'scripting language'. Smile
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

An alternative suggestion: 'Lightweight Languages'.
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

how about (the more commonly used term) 'Agile Programming Languages'
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That's a good one too.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: