Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 To clarify...
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:23 am   Post subject: To clarify...

When I (often vigorously) point out the flaws of a popular language, especially in comparison to other languages, I'm not trying to be some kind of ivory tower elitist.

I'm not saying, "don't use C++ or Java!" except perhaps to say that they don't make good introductory languages for learning basic concepts.

By all means, use them and learn them. They're incredibly popular, so you're probably not going to be able to avoid them. Indeed, because of this learn to be good Java and C++ programmers.

However, do not blindly accept their popularity. Do not think that because they are popular, that they must be great. Many "mainstream" languages lack anything even remotely compelling. They are busy reinventing features other languages have possessed for decades and slapping fancy new names on them, or in many cases they simply have no intention of ever adding interesting capabilities.

There is a fine line between grudgingly accepting the corporate line and hype, and actually buying into it and becoming its champion. Respect that line. Fear it. Do not cross it.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 1 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: