Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Eiffel and Java, a comparison by RIT
Index -> General Programming
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:05 pm   Post subject: Eiffel and Java, a comparison by RIT

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:gPLjkZQbi68J:www.cs.rit.edu/~jeh/eiffel/JvsE.html+eiffel+site:rit.edu&hl=en&client=firefox

Oh, and why they chose Eiffel for intro CS. Smile

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:LHP9doWEYzAJ:www.cs.rit.edu/~jeh/Papers/Eif-joop.html+eiffel+site:rit.edu&hl=en&client=firefox
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Your second link doesn't seem to work Sad
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Do a Google search for "eiffel site:rit.edu". Smile
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

ha.. that report is soo outdated... and the advantages are not that great... you should check out AspectJ.. ha... makes Eiffel look bad.
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Is it?

Where's the DbC is Java? Pre-conditions, post-conditions, class invariants that are inherited, and the ability to give names to the exceptions they throw.

The syntax is simpler. Tell me that Java has only one way to loop.

code:
test_loop is
   local
      index : INTEGER
   do
      from
         index := 1
      until
         index >= 10
      loop
         std_output.put_integer(index)
         std_output.put_new_line

index := index + 1
      end
   end

Where are the externally read-only attributes? Where's the strict enforcement of encapsulation?

Where are the real generic classes (as opposed to some auto-boxing and Object casting hackery)?

Where's the feature adaptation to resolve name clashes?

Where's the high level of control over feature access (beyond simply public, private and protected)?

Where's the strict separation of procedures and functions?

Can you use any procedure to set up the initial state of an object?
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

oh? yes.. pre, post and a heck a lot more is possible though aspects.. including stuff that even eiffel can't do..

every thing else you mentioned is soo useless and pointless i'm not even going to bother replying.. except for this one.. if what you say is true.. i'll have to simply accept that eiffel has a greater advantage over java in this respect: "Where's the high level of control over feature access (beyond simply public, private and protected)?"
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

So this:

Java:
public class MyClass {
  private String name;
  public boolean invarName() { return name != null; }

public void    setName (String n) { name = n; }
  public boolean preSetName (String n) { return n != null; }
  public String  getName () { return name; }
  public boolean postGetName (String result) { return result != null; }

public String  doIt (int n, String s) {...}
  public boolean preDoIt (int n, String s) {
    return n > 10 && s != null;
  }
  public boolean postDoIt (String result, int n, String s) {
    return result != null;
  }
}

Is prefereable to:

code:
class
   MY_CLASS

feature

name : STRING

set_name(new_name : STRING) is
      require
         new_name /= Void
      do
         name := new_name
      end

do_it(n : INTEGER, s : STRING) : STRING is
      require
         n > 10 and then s /= Void
      do
      end

invariant
   name /= Void

end

Is a simple syntax pointless? I know a lot of people struggling with C-like syntaxes who would disagree.

Are externally read-only attributes useless? Notice I declared my "name" attribute openly, and no harm came of it. That's because I can't modify it from outside the class. At the same time, it saved me from having to write a "get" accessor.

I can't do the bad thing and break encapsulation in Eiffel. It just isn't allowed.

Separation of functions and procedures doesn't matter? Not having functions capable of mutating the object makes a tremendous amount of sense, and saves much confusion. It enforces the idea that each routine should do one small job, thus making it easier to isolate the source of errors. Consider a simple IO example:

code:
class
   TEST

creation
   make

feature

make is
      do
         std_output.put_string("Your name is? ")
         std_input.read_line
         std_output.put_string("Hello " + std_input.last_string + "!")
         std_output.put_new_line
      end

end

The act of reading the line in, and then actually getting what it read become two separate features.

As for feature access... you're right to envy it. The class ank account example:

code:
class
   BANK_ACCOUNT

feature { TELLER }

balance : INTEGER

end

The balance becomes available only to objects of the TELLER class.
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Another semantic simplicitythat Eiffel brings to bear is that there are no unatural breaks in execution. There are no gotos, breaks, continues, or returns.

This eliminates another huge class of errors by making it easier to trace the flow of execution.

Also, where is Java's ability to create value types? Consider:

bar.e
code:
class
   BAR

creation
   make

feature

foo, baz : INTEGER

make is
      do
         foo := 1
         baz := 2
      end

inc is
      do
         foo := foo + 1
         baz := baz + 1
      end

end

test.e
code:
class
   TEST

creation
   make

feature

inc(input : BAR) is
      do
         input.inc
      end

make is
      local
         b : BAR
      do
         create b.make

std_output.put_integer(b.foo) ; std_output.put_character(',')
         std_output.put_integer(b.baz) ; std_output.put_new_line

inc(b)

end

end

This outputs:

And now, compare that to:

bar.e
code:
expanded class
   BAR

feature

foo, baz : INTEGER

make is
      do
         foo := 1
         baz := 2
      end

inc is
      do
         foo := foo + 1
         baz := baz + 1
      end

end

test.e
code:
class
   TEST

creation
   make

feature

inc(input : BAR) is
      do
         input.inc
      end

make is
      local
         b : BAR
      do
         b.make

inc(b)

end

end

Which prints:

How do I accomplish this in Java - creating objects which are handled by value rather than by reference?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Let's consider another syntactic and semantic simplicity. Exception handling occurs only at the feature-level. That is, you cannot have arbitrary exception handling blocks.

This further encourages concise, focused features, rather than lengthy methods.

Additionally, with Eiffel's exception handling you have the "retry" instruction which allows you to "fix" variables, and then run the feature again.

Imagine if you have a queue class, and you try to add something, but there isn't room for it. Your exception handler could grow the queue by one slot, then retry the method.
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh yes, and no overloaded features. You can't have something like:

code:
class
   TEST

feature

foo : STRING is
      do
         Result := "foo"
      end

foo(n : INTEGER) : STRING is
      local
         counter : INTEGER
      do
         from
            Result := ""
            counter := 0
         until
            counter > n
         loop
            Result := Result + "foo"
            counter := counter + 1
         end
      end

end

Seems to be a nice way of reducing confusion.
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
So this....
wait.. i'll get back to you on this.. i'll show you how it's actually done in java.. using aspects..

wtd wrote:
Are externally read-only attributes useless? Notice I declared my "name" attribute openly, and no harm came of it. That's because I can't modify it from outside the class. At the same time, it saved me from having to write a "get" accessor.
No it's best to access all properties through accessors.. properties are but private members of a class... that's how we program in java.. that's our philosophy.. you could argue that we have such a philosophy because we do not have read-only attributes... maybe.. but we see advantages in creating accessors since later on as the code matures.. we could come across a situation where you now need to do some sort of error checking or maybe more than just that.. maybe notify oberserver etc... then as you can see it's just a matter of modifying an accessor and implementing the necessary code.. the details are hidding from the client code... and there's no need to inform the clients that accessing data through the read-only attributes is now "deprecated".. it all happens behind the scenes..

wtd wrote:
Separation of functions and procedures doesn't matter? Not having functions capable of mutating the object makes a tremendous amount of sense, and saves much confusion. It enforces the idea that each routine should do one small job, thus making it easier to isolate the source of errors. Consider a simple IO example:

code:
class
   TEST

creation
   make

feature

make is
      do
         std_input.read_line
         std_output.put_new_line
      end

end

The act of reading the line in, and then actually getting what it read become two separate features.
Nope! I just fail to see the point to this... functions that return "void" or nothing.. are just as good.. and it's feels more consistent...
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Another semantic simplicitythat Eiffel brings to bear is that there are no unatural breaks in execution. There are no gotos, breaks, continues, or returns.

This eliminates another huge class of errors by making it easier to trace the flow of execution.
yes and prevents some really cool algorithms from being implemented..

wtd wrote:
Also, where is Java's ability to create value types?...
funny you bring that up... we java programmers are actually greatful we can't do this.. look at the complications involved if you do implement such a feature: the absolute necessity of implementing an = operator (or equivalent) and the so called copy-constuctor... all the annoying "have-to-follow" rules present in the c++ lang.. just because it has the ability to create value types... either way.. there's abosolutly no point to it!
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Let's consider another syntactic and semantic simplicity. Exception handling occurs only at the feature-level. That is, you cannot have arbitrary exception handling blocks.

This further encourages concise, focused features, rather than lengthy methods.
care to elaborate? i don't understand.

wtd wrote:
Additionally, with Eiffel's exception handling you have the "retry" instruction which allows you to "fix" variables, and then run the feature again.

Imagine if you have a queue class, and you try to add something, but there isn't room for it. Your exception handler could grow the queue by one slot, then retry the method.
such kind or error handling take place at the function level (of a class etc)... and recursive functions allow for similar functionality...
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Oh yes, and no overloaded features. You can't have something like:....
oh yes there's a good side to this allright... it does reduce confusion.. but sometimes overloading can be very usefull...

for ex consider:
code:
class Line {
    void setPoint(Point p) { .. }
    void setPoint(int x, int y) { .. }
}
the overloaded method (the one that takes two int) simplifies coding.. creating the point for you when you don't already have one.. but this is a poor example.. there are better ones.. i just currently can't think of one..
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
wtd wrote:
No it's best to access all properties through accessors.. properties are but private members of a class... that's how we program in java.. that's our philosophy.. you could argue that we have such a philosophy because we do not have read-only attributes... maybe.. but we see advantages in creating accessors since later on as the code matures.. we could come across a situation where you now need to do some sort of error checking or maybe more than just that.. maybe notify oberserver etc... then as you can see it's just a matter of modifying an accessor and implementing the necessary code.. the details are hidding from the client code... and there's no need to inform the clients that accessing data through the read-only attributes is now "deprecated".. it all happens behind the scenes..

Why would you ever want to know when an access of that data occurs? Surely the only time you care to know such things is when you actually change the state of an object?

Since Eiffel requires a procedure for modifying (as opposed to simply reading) the state of an object, that gives you ample opportunity to add extra logic.

rizzix wrote:
wtd wrote:

code:
class
   TEST

creation
   make

feature

make is
      do
         std_input.read_line
         std_output.put_new_line
      end

end

Nope! I just fail to see the point to this... functions that return "void" or nothing.. are just as good.. and it's feels more consistent...

Ah, but the problem is that a method which returns some value can also make changes to the state of the object. This is bad, since it means a programmer can build methods which perform several operations, rather than short, concise, focused routines that make tracing errors easier. Smile

For instance, in my very simple example, if there's an error reading the input line, it will occur there, before any output is attempted.

A more Java/C-ish way of doing this might look like:

code:
std_output.put_string("Hello, " + std_input.read_line + !")
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 27 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: