Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Fast User Switching in Gnome
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:29 am   Post subject: Fast User Switching in Gnome

Very useful for multiple user environments. You do have to compile the applet, but it's relatively simple.

First download the source from http://ignore-your.tv/fusa/.

Make sure you read all of the README and INSTALL files for directions on configuring the software for your distro.

Then it's relatively easy to add the applet to the panel. Simply right-click the panel, select "Add to Panel" and add the "User Switcher" applet.

There are numerous preferences you can experiment with. Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hm. It works fine, and I really love this applet! However, it does have some limitations. For example, if you try to log in the same account twice, it apparently can't access the preferences, fonts, icons, themes information for some reason -- perhaps a read lock is placed on this when you are logged in? I've attached two screenshots -- the first one is of my first login, and the second one is of a login after I tried to log in to the same account using the applet. See what I mean? =/ In the second screen, the fonts are gone, the icons are gone, and the applet icons in the bottom toolbar have been replaced by red 'x's. I guess this isn't really the plugin's fault.

Screenshot-1.png
 Description:
Screenshot of another login to the same account (with the first one STILL logged in) using the applet
 Filesize:  97.9 KB
 Viewed:  993 Time(s)

Screenshot-1.png

Screenshot.png
 Description:
Screenshot of my original login.
 Filesize:  154.15 KB
 Viewed:  991 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

wtd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmmm... when I tried to do that, it popped up a dialog asking if I wanted to use the existing session for that user.

I went to the login screen and accidentally logged into an XFCE session. No applet there, so I just quit the XFCE session and was sent back to the GDM login screen.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: