Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Improving Tutorials
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Tutorials
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Any progress on part II, ZeroPaladn?

I'm going to start improving a tutorial today. It's going to be the if-else-elsif tutorial, since I've already planned the whole thing out a few posts up. Rolling Eyes
Edit: It's going to be a while: it's on an ext3 partition, so it's going to have to wait for me to re-install linux, which I'm not in a huge rush to do at the moment.

Now that we've all got some time off, I expect some progress! Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

As per the above post's edit, I'm putting the if tutorial off for a bit. I've moved on to the classes tutorial, and it will be in two parts. Part I is the basics of classes. Part II is inheritence and polymorphism. Part II will revolve around making the item system for an RPG. Should be interesting.

There are some easy topics that can be re-tutorialized here, guys: arrays, file I/O, Input.KeyDown, Font.Draw... Those of you who are knowledgable with the topics, can communicate effectively, and can type could fire off a quality tutorial in two or three hours. And writing tutorials can be fun. Wink
do_pete

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Since no one's done one I think I'll write a Dir tutorial
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:16 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Excellent!

If you can work it in, some of the File module has not been covered as well.
Turing Reference wrote:

Exists Returns whether a file exists.
FullPath Returns the full absolute path name of a file.
Parent Returns the parent directory of a file or directory.
Status Gets information about a file such as size, modification date, etc.
Copy Copies a file to another location.
Rename Renames a file or directory.
Delete Deletes a file.
DiskFree Gets the free space on the disk upon which a file or directory resides.

Most of that could fit into the tutorial, I guess. And it wouldn't take much explaining either. Perhaps one section about the File module would be enough.

Thanks do_pete. I hope it turns out great. Smile
ecliptical

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:36 am   Post subject: (No subject)

As soon as my host resolves the 406 Error I get when tryin to access stuff on the server I'm renting I'll post a Online Highscore tutorial.
do_pete

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

OK I'll include part of the File module in my tutorial
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sounds good.

ecliptical: That's okay, but you should know that we already have two tutorials on the topic (though one of them doesn't really count).

http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?t=5340
http://www.compsci.ca/v2/viewtopic.php?t=7499

Of course no one's going to stop you from writing a tutorial on the topic, but remember that your time will go to waste unless it's better than the competition. Wink

Edit: An online high score system, you say? Does that mean you'll be covering the Net module as well? (Although that does deserve its own tutorial.)
ecliptical

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes it does include the Net module and it's actually surprisingly simple and reliable.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DIIST

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:47 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Can you make a tutorial into an animation instead of typing anything up! it easier to understand when you see,plus it'll save some of us who arnt good in english. Cool
ZeroPaladn

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I've gotten back to the Draw Tutorial (sorry for the holdup) and it is going pretty good, still trying to make it so that it is half decent if not better, because Ive never been good at conveying information to others Embarassed .
richcash

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hey, do you still need tutorials improved, because I'm really interested and I have extra time. I'm especially interested in improving the collision detection tutorial included in the Turing Walkthrough because it is really old, so it would be good if someone could tell me if that still needs to be improved.

I can also improve other tutorials, but I need an updated list because some of these tutorials have already been done. Also, if there are some tutorials that haven't been done yet, I would be interested in those too. Thanks!
Clayton

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

im sure you could start improving the collision detection tutorial, just make sure you:

• Follow the guidelines from the first post (look at other tuts in the Turing Walkthrough if you have to)
  • Get it approved by a mod before you post it
  • HAVE CORRECT SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, and GRAMMAR PLZ!

pm Cervantes as well to let him know that you are doing the tut, and im sure he will PM you the actual original post (if you want to) with all of the BBCode disabled Very Happy
Ultrahex

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Im Planning on Redoing the IF-Then-Else By Tony

Don't Bother Sending me the BBcode im starting from scratch i so far have about 5 examples and i made sure to INCLUDE all the Boolean Operators (including xor)

I Also plan to include a very short peice on what Boolean Operators do and the effect they have, such as they return either true or false

Then A List of All The Operators with there shortforms in a list form with green text after showing there meaning

Followed By Pre-Explained Examples As Well as Questions Posed With Answers Written in White so you have to highlight in order to see properly at the bottom of the tutorial

Then Have Some Programs For Them To Write (Ideas for them to write to understand the concept)

This should be complete by the end of week before School Starts (Well School for me starts anyhow) maybe even earlier. (Cervantes If you still come on IRC give me a msg and ill show you what i have)
richcash

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes, I guess I'm going to improve the collision detection tutorial, so I'm notifying everyone of that here. I won't need the BBCode, like ultrahex, I'll just re-write it. I'll PM Cervantes to ask for permission to make it official!
Cervantes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ultrahex and richcash: Both sound excellent! Thanks! Very Happy
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Tutorials
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 43 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: