Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 My Dot Game
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Ninjamangopuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:10 pm   Post subject: My Dot Game

This is a new game I made. You just guide this tiny black dot around obstacles to get to the blue goal. I think there's about thirty levels in all.
Let me know what you think of it.

DotGame.t
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DotGame.t
 Filesize:  37.15 KB
 Downloaded:  492 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Delos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You realize it is almost impossible to see that little black dot?

Ok, let's see:
- I'm glad to see you know the basics of how to use procedures. Now, use more of them. Lots more. Even better, use functions whereever you can.
You notice how the setup for all your levels are the same? Well, think about this in terms of procedures. You have a set 'level-object' that contains information about how the screen will look. You could store this information in a file. Each time a new level begins, you would call this set of information, and based on predefined routines (like drawing the red boxes) use this information to particulate the details.
This will save you several hundred lines worth of code. Your current line count is close to 1500, of which only about 75 do anything at all. The rest are just repeats of repeats, which could be optimized and streamlined with procedures.
- Good job (for the most part) on variable naming and commenting. AllYourBase(may)BelongToUs, but it serves no use. Funny, but no use.
- Your choice of movement control, though valid, is by no means the most efficient or trustworthy of methods. You'll want to use Input.KeyDown() instead of the hasch/getch combo. You'll find out all about it in the Tutorials section.
- It's "etc" not "ect"
- I'd try to get further than level 2 and see all the pretty things you have in store later on, if only I could see the object I am controlling. Seriously, Draw.Dot()? Bad idea, really bad idea. Upgrade that to Draw.FillOval() or something to that effect. Of course you'll have to redo all of your collision detection, but that's what you get for using whatdotcolour() collision detection. I'm not (completely) bashing wtc'ing, just IMHO mathematically calculated distances are a little superior in that they can be used anywhere in anything. Sure they're a lot more irritating to figure out (especially when you have a large number of objects on screen), but once you're into well structured object-oriented programming, you'll have no problems there Very Happy. If you were to ever improve on this and add fancy backgrounds or the like, wtc wouldn't cut it.
And, as proven here, a slight change in the object being drawn means a *huge* change in the wtc'ings that need to be found.

Fix at least the Draw.Dot thing and you'll get some bits from me.
Flea

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Wow!!

As far as the game goes, well done! I love it. You have some pretty creative ideas in there. I couldn't get past the moving tunnel level but obviously theres lots more. I found the dot annoying at first but i got used to it really quickly. But its good practice to use bigger 'players' even if they are squares or something - its a whole new world of fun. or pain, however you look at it Razz but your game did what it was supposed to, and it was more fun than most of the submissions imo. Very Happy
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: