Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Resolution and DPI settings
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Neo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:31 pm   Post subject: Resolution and DPI settings

I've been using 800 by 600 for awhile... I just changed it to 1024 by 768 and everything is small, my monitor is 17". What should be the proper DPI settings and text settings? If I put large text setting there is barely any difference. If I put extra large it stretches everything; it makes the taskbar bigger because of the bigger text which looks really bad. Upping the DPI makes the screen look like Im viewing it under a magnifying glass...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I've got 1024 by 768 on a 15" monitor and everything is fine. I would take an even higher resolution if my monitor could support it with a decent refresh rate. You should get used to it, provided you've got good eyesight.
If you can't get used to it, try getting used to it on Large font sizes.
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:02 am   Post subject: (No subject)

its just you... when u first switch from 800 by 600 to 1024 to 768, you'll think that the resolution looks tiny, but u'll get used to it.. eventually lol
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

And if you ever try 1280x1024, you'll never want to go back to 1024x768 (unless perhaps you don't think you can live without haveing anime wallpapers on your desktop without stretching...)
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yep, I have a 1024/768 resolution on a 17 inch, and it's good. You have to get used to it. Personally, the only time I can increase the resolution is in games. When I see 800/600 now I can't imagine doing anything on it Smile.
person

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea..im using 1024/768 on a 17 inch, its been pretty good

and i just tried 800/600 and it just looked too big

and i also just tried 1280/1024, but i really needed to squint to read some of the words
Cervantes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I just got myself a new monitor. It's a dell, 17" monitor that I got for free.
Coutsos wrote:
And if you ever try 1280x1024, you'll never want to go back to 1024x768 (unless perhaps you don't think you can live without haveing anime wallpapers on your desktop without stretching...)

This monitor is capable of 1280x1024, and I cranked it up there for a while. It was great and all, but it meant the refresh rate had to drop to 60Hz. No thanks! So now I've got 1152x864 resolution with 72Hz.

On this sort of note, will a monitor wear out faster if you really push it to the extreme (ie. max out the refresh rate for the resolution you are using, or vice versa)?
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Probably, but the only thing I would be worried about is when it gets too hot. It's pretty crazy when you are on the computer and all of a sudden you see smoke coming from the top of the monitor Smile.
Personally though, I can't stand anything but an 85Hz refresh rate.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
person

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i heard a rummor that if u chew something infront of a monitor, and the refresh rate of the monitor is really low, u actually see lines

is it true?? and if so...y?
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Eh? I don't think you need to be chewing. For myself at least, I can see lines at 60Hz, which used to be the standard (no?).
person

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

at 60??? wow, u must have great eyes
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I've never had a problem with 60Hz. But it's still nice being able to do 1600x1200 at 75Hz 8)

As for the lines, chewing might do it, possibly depending on the crunchiness of the food in question. My brother and I used to find that yelling (not necessarily loudly) would let you see the lines as well. The vibrations, I guess.
And of course, there's always the ol' lines on the monitor being watched on a camera/TV thing. But that'd be due to difference in framerates. Mildly interesting stuff.
md

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I can see the flickering of the screen at 60Hz no problem; it's really very apparent after you've been using 1600x1280@85Hz on a 21" for a while and then you go to 1280x1024@60Hz on a 17". Good thing I've got me a nice LCD which doesn't suffer from such things... I should really look into getting a second to replace my other monitor...
Neo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, after a couple days of use Im kinda starting to get used to it... But some text is still way to small, especially when reading forums. So I set the min text size in firefox to 12; it doesnt stretch anything so its all good. Maybe I can slowly work my way down, each day setting the minimum one notch lower... Laughing
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:20 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i too can see flickering like mad at 60.. it kills me when i see some one working at 60 hz in a lab... usually if u stare at an object beside the screen and then using ur preriferial vision to focus on the screen u can notice the flickering, but for some ppl its really really obvious
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: