Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Longhorn to be Named Windows Vista
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
Windows computers are cheaper than Apple computers and easier to use than Linux boxes.

Don't play stupid Martin, you know very well that Windows has no ease of use advantage over most modern Linux distros. No, it generally doesn't come pre-installed, but they even make installation a breeze compared to Windows.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh! Windows is the worst piece of trash ever! Seriously I hope Vista is going to be of 100x better quality than XP. Why? I a mac fan after all, now aren't I? Why should I care? The reason is people are too lazy or simply too stupid to search for better alternatives. To consider using something "different" is beyond their capacity. It is outrageous! Why on Earth would any one even think of switching?

Oh poor me, to suffer in the midst of this stupid mentality. This forces me and a good bit of the world to use such Trash against our will. Just because of this I hope it is at the least reasonably functional and stable. There's really no point in them trying to beat their competitors. They are simply too selfish to accomplish that.

I don't care if they have few new features or not. I only want stability, flexibility and a major improvement in its usability. By usability I'm referring to the poorly constructed Windows User Interface. It is horrible. Switching back and forth from PC to Mac only exaggerates the flaws. I mean, to think they can practically get the whole world to use this piece of junk!

Microsoft never did care about quality. It's all about the money! I'm thankful that there is a company like Apple readily challenging this selfish giant.
1of42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:16 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I can't tell if that's a very random rant, or a badly written parody of one. Razz
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:05 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes. A company that doesn't care about money. Oh boy, we need lots of those. A company that doesn't want to make money for the people who invested in it. Apple of course sells everything at the cheapest that they possibly could caring only that the consumer is happy.

What is an Apple computer but a freeBSD box with a pretty GUI and lots of off white colouring?

But whatever. This topic is about Windows Vista, not OSX or freeBSD. I digress.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
What is an Apple computer but a freeBSD box with a pretty GUI and lots of off white colouring?

Again... you're not this stupid. You know there's a lot more to it than that.

I can't help but think that it's pretty sad that you're having to lower your intelligence to successfully advocate for Microsoft.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I realy do not see how M$ can claim that DRM is good for the user or good for socity as a hole. It is not going to stop copying of copyrighted mataerls, there are easy ways around it and even if there was not poeleop whould just use old versons of windows or other OS like linux to do it in. The only realy benfite in DRM is to M$ in that they can make contracs with hardware companys and get more money. This is only going to hurt the end user overall as well as the hardware companys.

Lucky do to the ushal M$ incompitcen there trusted computing system will not be ready for longhorn so we are saff for now. But it will not be long before such things become a reality and then we will not be far from living in a world not unlike gore orwell 1984.

Also there has got to be somthing wrong with an OS when the EFF has problems with it. It realy is a sad how low M$ is going thess days....
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

1of42 wrote:
I can't tell if that's a very random rant, or a badly written parody of one. Razz

no its not a parody. it is satiric initially (on the windows users, and not windows it self), but it abruptly gets to the point: i'm just pissed off with the windows world. and ehm.. yea i really _do_ hope m$ improves, specially with companies like Apple challenging them.

bah!

so how many of you guys have actually tried a using a mac?

Martin wrote:
That is such an understatement it's not funny.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, I tried it for a very short time (so I may be biased) but for me the GUI was worse than the Windows one (OSX). Everything is big and the basic things are placed in the center of the screen, wasting space and distracting you. If it came to that, I would switch to Linux.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:
Yeah, I tried it for a very short time (so I may be biased) but for me the GUI was worse than the Windows one (OSX). Everything is big and the basic things are placed in the center of the screen, wasting space and distracting you. If it came to that, I would switch to Linux.

How is everything "big"?

You do realize the Dock can be resized, moved, hidden, right?
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I know this is (strangely) off-topic by now, but the Developer Beta 1 was released today. Joy.

I'm certainly not a Microsoft advocate, and I definitely AM an F/OSS enthusiast. However, unfortunatly, there ARE a few programs that simply do not have free counterparts as of yet. So while I'm not a fan of the platform, the company, or the system, I do have a Win32 partition for the odd times when there's something there that has only been developed for Windows. =/
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

"Big" like the resolution is something completely different than what it is or something like that.

I knew that you could hide and move things, but not resize. My brief trial was indeed very brief Smile.
1of42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

To make something clear:

I used Macs for 5 years 5 days a week at school. I disliked it immensely.

I still use Macs now for music editing, and I find the whole thing frankly annoying. I hate the GUI - I think it's too poofy, and things like the open dialogs are ridiculous, IMO.

It just doesn't feel right. And I don't use it, unless I very much have to.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

1of42 wrote:
things like the open dialogs are ridiculous, IMO.

In what way is it ridiculous?
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I have also used Mac and desktops very much like the mac one and i also found everything to be "poofy" and to big but i also shortly figgured out how to fix this and make everything just right. Tho adminity this is not strat forword how to do but only b/c there is so much more that can be costmized and chaged.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Martin wrote:
Windows computers are cheaper than Apple computers and easier to use than Linux boxes.

Don't play stupid Martin, you know very well that Windows has no ease of use advantage over most modern Linux distros. No, it generally doesn't come pre-installed, but they even make installation a breeze compared to Windows.

Hey, I think that Linux is way easier to use than Windows, but I'm using a bash terminal for probably 8 hours a day. Your average user doesn't want to have to worry about that. Ubuntu is great, don't get me wrong - I'd say it's my favourite operating system to use right now. However, it doesn't have the software scope nor the driver support that Windows does. For the most part, Windows just works as far as new hardware and software goes, and there is software to do everything. Linux still has its problems. Keeping your system up to date in Windows is trivial, as you can simply get Windows update to do it for you. Updating to the latest unstable version of debian is not a fun experience (well, it is, but for reasons that non-cs'ers/massochists wouldn't find entertaining).

I see in Linux a lot of potential. But Linux too has a lot of problems. There's no Linux community. There's a debian community, a gentoo community, a mandrake (err...mandrivia) community and so on. It lacks the unification that it needs to be truely successful.

And I know that Apple is more than just a pretty GUI, but not much more. It's a software package, with some really cool software. And to be honest, I really can't bash the actual Apple hardware and software, save that it's far too pricey and that there's too little room for customization, and that Steve Jobs is a prick. I think that Apple has a lot of potential, once they figure their company out and have like, a business plan. And decide that it's maybe a good time to start making some real money. And to anyone who says that people don't use Apple because they're scared to try something new - why are there so many linux users? I guarentee that the jump from Windows to Linux is far greater than that from Windows to OSX. It's as simple as Apple needing to figure themselves out and creating an acceptable business model for themselves. I think that the new line of Mac Minis is a nice effort. They can do better.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 5  [ 66 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: