Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Longhorn to be Named Windows Vista
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:20 pm   Post subject: Longhorn to be Named Windows Vista

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx

Microsoft wrote:
Beta 1, targeted at developers and IT professionals, will be available by August 3rd 2005.

Longhorn is now going to be officially called "Windows Vista" which in Spanish means "Views". This is the first time in quite a while that windows has not been named after a year or something like "ME" "XP" "SE". Personally, I think they could have chosen a better name, but we shall see how good an actual operating system it will be...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:42 pm   Post subject: Re: Longhorn to be Named Windows Vista

[Gandalf] wrote:
but we shall see how good an actual operating system it will be...

Only if it actually ships. Smile
Notoroge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

"View" not "Views" Very Happy
"Vista" a'int plural. Razz
lyam_kaskade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ick. I liked "Longhorn" better.
This just opens them up to bad "hasta la Vista" jokes.
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

"Vista" is the Latvian word for "chicken".
Notoroge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
"Vista" is the Latvian word for "chicken".
Somehow that seems appropriate. Thinking
Drakain Zeil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:00 am   Post subject: (No subject)

That's okay, because they'll just put out Blackcomb the year after Vista hits stores.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:23 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Idk about you guys but i am not touching that OS with a 100 foot pole. I mean an OS that comes with the spy ware perisntaled sounds fun and all but i kind of like my privecey.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:27 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Drakain Zeil wrote:
That's okay, because they'll just put out Blackcomb the year after Vista hits stores.

Sooooo.... sometime after the next ice age?
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
Idk about you guys but i am not touching that OS with a 100 foot pole. I mean an OS that comes with the spy ware perisntaled sounds fun and all but i kind of like my privecey.

it also comes with PVP-OPM (Protected Video Path - Output Protection Management) requiring you to have an "Approved" monitor or else you cannot premium video content until you get one.

And there is more then PVP-OPM they have a whole collection of out output protection coming.

I'm not going to use longhorn myself, i'll stick with XP or move towards linux (i'll still keep XP for gaming)
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

timmytheturtle wrote:
I'm not going to use longhorn myself, i'll stick with XP or move towards linux (i'll still keep XP for gaming)

Get ready for games with content that requires the same setup, and thus won't work under anything other than "Vista", and then only with approved montors.
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
timmytheturtle wrote:

Get ready for games with content that requires the same setup, and thus won't work under anything other than "Vista", and then only with approved montors.

Never thought of that...then it looks like i won't be buying very many games (or any) in the future
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

timmytheturtle wrote:
wtd wrote:
timmytheturtle wrote:

Never thought of that...then it looks like i won't be buying very many games (or any) in the future

Rather i think this will lead to the devlopment of better windows emulators for linux. And we can all play our games on suped out verson of wine.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Why is this going to drive investments in WINE?

You'll still have to have the compliant monitor to play the new content. For the old content, the old version of Windows will still work just peachy.

And anybody buying a new PC from an OEM will get a compliant monitor and the new OS, so they won't even know there's a problem.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'll just get myself a new Intel based Mac with OSX 10.5 (when that comes out) and play my games on a sparkly new PlayStation 3. All of which are likely to come out near the release of Vista Laughing
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 5  [ 66 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: