Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 C VS C++
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Flikerator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:44 pm   Post subject: C VS C++

Im a good programmer if I don't say so myself. After starting several programs in turing and them failing because its not powerfull enough I have decided to start C, or C++.

I need to know what the difference is between the two, so I can choose which one to learn. Thanks for your time ^^
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the two languages are quite destinct and serve different purposes. What is it that you're trying to achieve?
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Tony wrote:
the two languages are quite destinct and serve different purposes. What is it that you're trying to achieve?

If the intention is to go nuts trying to accomplish even the simplest tasks, I'd wholeheartedly recommend either language to a newbie.
Flikerator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I just need to know the differences between them so I can decide which would be suited for making programs and possibly video games.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Game making is a long step from learning a language like C++ right after only Turing. Once you learn most of the actual language, to make a decent graphical game you would have to learn something like OpenGL or DirectX, which is really another thing altogether... Most games/programs nowadays are made in mostly C++, since it's newer, object oriented, and some other things.

If you really want a comparison, look here (it has some other languages as well):
Comparison Chart
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:
Most games/programs nowadays are made in mostly C++, since it's newer, object oriented, and some other things.

Most games are developed in C++ because of its buzzword value and because of library vendors (like Microsoft) forcing them to. Very few in the game development business have a solid grasp on the benefits that C++ brings to the table. It's primarily used as "C with classes".

Newer != better.
Flikerator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ill probably learn C++. I know I won't be making games right away, I just want to know the language. I plan on becoming a computer programmer so im familiarlizing myself with the languages. I have become adept at Turing, and have decided to move to a more powerful and widely used language. Thanks for all your help Smile
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Flikerator wrote:
Ill probably learn C++.

You'll try. I'm not trying to say you're not a bright individual, but C++ is downright hostile towards newbies. It's big and complex, and you have to understand these complexities to an absurd level to write even the simplest code with any kind of proficiency.

Further, the fact that it's widely used means primarily this: there are a lot of people out there who claim to know C++ and don't know what the heck they're talking about. You'll almost inevitably listen to one of these people and end up wasting time learning things you'll inevitably have to unlearn.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yea, I really hate it when people say things like: "Ok, well, I'll go learn C++ now and I'll help you make this MMORPG next week". You don't always have to learn everything in one try, get a basic grip on making simple programs, then some later time review what you know and move on to something harder... Anyways, good luck, don't get discouraged, and hopefully you'll be on a path to learning even more langauges.

Keep in mind (if making games is your goal):
The difference between basic Turing and graphical turing is << than the difference between basic C++ and graphical C++.
Flikerator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well I wasn't planning on making games right away with C++ because of all the horror stories i've heard about it when people try to make games when they just start programming. I do plan on eventually making low-graphic games based more on gameplay then extreme graphics but not for some time. Mainly I want to learn enough C++ by next May to use it in the Brock Tournament, if im not profecient ill enter it with Turing.

Thanks for all the help, now I must find a good compiler =D
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Check the tutorials section Wink.

It takes a long time to learn a lot about C++, and even longer to understand it and use it properly while solving a problem (like any language).
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: