Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Optimus keyboard
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
md

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:49 pm   Post subject: Optimus keyboard

Optimus Keyboard

Ok, ok... not exactly on topic, but it sure ain't off topic either. Looks sweet for gaming, and for normal use too! Imagine... you could set it to do whatever you wanted, need a compile key? No problem! Want to map "if()", "for(;Wink", or any other oft used part of a language to a key? Done! And you can get icons or text on the key too! (I really like it Razz).

I'm hoping that they find someone to manufacture them, and hopefully getthe cost down so I can affort one.

[edit] fixed my typo in the link
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yep, wtd showed me this earlier and I had an idea. Why not have each key as an lcd display, and then for whatever program you load the different keys get configured to make that program more convenient to use. That way you don't need to keep configuring each key for your uses, and you have whatever each key does nicely displayed. My patent, no stealing Wink
Really, no stealing or injuries will occur heh.
md

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well it's already made of OLEDS... as for the rest that would be a driver things; which I'm sure will be implemented.
zylum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thats sweet!

image if they made it cordless... youd have to change the batteries every day! Laughing
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

how heavy are those keys?

a matrix of OLEDs in each one, a microcontroller to make the image display... a wire connection to the microcontroller to load the icons..

There would have to be a fair bit of mechanical parts involed to keep those heavy keys moving up and down responsivly, while maintaining that cable connection without too much tear.

That could ofcourse be avoided by making the keys touch sensetive, but then one might as well make the entire keyboard to be a single touchscreen.

PATENT PENDING!
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:22 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, it looks pretty slick. I'd buy one.
md

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:26 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Tony wrote:
how heavy are those keys?
That could ofcourse be avoided by making the keys touch sensetive, but then one might as well make the entire keyboard to be a single touchscreen.

PATENT PENDING!

And you could actually change the key sizes, or move them around; It'd just be a giant LCD display with a touch sensor on top!
1of42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I've seen that before... I WANT IT!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, actually I saw something like that quite a while ago too. When doom 3 came out, I saw a guy on tv advertising a specific 'doom 3' board that looked a lot like this one. It's probably the same thing though, just expanded.
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think that the extra keys are so that it can support different language sets.
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

But who types while looking at the keyboard?!
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I side it once and i will say it again "I am not going to pay $400 for a keyborad when i can get one out of the dumster behind the CS buliding for free".
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Notoroge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It's a novelty. It's just plain cool to be playing quake and for each key to show what gun it's bound to. Laughing OMFG, I want one. Crying or Very sad
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Coutsos wrote:
But who types while looking at the keyboard?!

You would if your keyboard looked like that.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Notoroge wrote:
It's a novelty. It's just plain cool to be playing quake and for each key to show what gun it's bound to. Laughing OMFG, I want one. Crying or Very sad

Maybe so but i could pain that free keyborad i found and get a free or low cost keyborad for every game and pait it difrently and u get the same thing for free or close to it. I have a stack of about 30 keyborads in my clostes and i whould have no problem making one for each game, lol.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 21 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: