Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Closed beta test of compsci.ca email to sms
Index -> Network News
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:34 pm   Post subject: Closed beta test of compsci.ca email to sms

I am testing out some of the email to sms software i have writen for compsci.ca v3 and i blive it is ready for a closed beta test. Any compsci.ca users that have a moble device that can recivce sms and are on the rogers wirless network can reply to this post or pm me to be considered for a free testing of the software.

What e-mail to sms is, is basilk an email forword to your sms. So if u send an e-mail to the address we assgin to you it will be sent to your sms. Compsci.ca will not cahgre any money or bits for the beta test but if your moble sercivce chagres you for recvicing sms then u could/will be billed by your wirelless serivce provider.

We will be runing our stander e-mail spam protection on this serivce so spam should not be an issue.

Righ now we can only send the 1st 160 chars of the message and all eltes will be cut off. Also subject names and who is sending you the email is not aliable at this time but will be in the futtuer. We can however forword a copy of the full e-mail to aonther e-mail addres you have.

Compsci.ca takes no respoibity for what happens to you, your moble device, compsci.ca acount, email, ect when using this beta test nor any persoanl or emotional injorys that u suffure while using it. It is compely use at own risk.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:59 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I have made some updates to the system and now the sms inculdes the sender and the 1st 10 chrs of the subject title. Also if it gose over 160 chars in total it will send more messages with the rest of the text and the subject title with a number indecating what part they are.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:26 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm just wondering Dan, what is this programmed in? I'm pretty sure you told me but i just dont remember... Ruby on rails?? or PHP??
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ruby on Rails is just one of many Ruby gems. And it seems like it's done with PHP.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Dan does his website programming mostly on php. Look at the extention to the 'page an admin' site - it's .php.

Too bad I don't have a mobile device of my own.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

For beta testing it is all done and php with some help from cron jobs. Once we have a server with rails it will most likey be done in ruby with the rails api. There are no fuctions in ether of thess langs for sms that i know of and the way it works right now is by taping in to places thess networks (rogers, ect) have free smsing set up. For example rogers has free sending of sms to any of there costumers it just costs moeny to send them so i tap in a rogers form for sending sms witch is not sposted to exist per say like it dose now.
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

What about this?
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:11 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Just tested it and althought it works it dose not work for free on all networks. It just realays the sms to the normal number@network.com e-mail. BUT this method on some networks is not free, like on rogers. On rogers it costs 15 cents per 160 chars or $5 a month. With the compsci method it costs nothing but is just buggy right now.

Edit: tho i am tankfull for you telling me about this since i will be able to use it as a fail safe thing if my progame dose not sport the network the user is on.

I am also going to need poeleop that are not on the rogers network to tell me if a test sms i send them gets to them and if it is free or not and the fromat it gets to them in.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Network News
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: