Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 New Longhorn Screenshots
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:43 am   Post subject: New Longhorn Screenshots

For those of you who don't read Slashdot.

http://mirrordot.org/stories/38d3ca8d0f1450ecd904cfee28fb683c/index.html

I like the blur effect under the transparent Windows. Not sure what else Longhorn'll provide though...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:32 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Looks good; the real question is how fast it is; and if you can run 3d games on one monitor while still getting the effects on the windows on your other monitor.
Amailer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Okay... not much difference and I think it looks the same... uglier then the default XP theme Very Happy

I don't like the transparent thing (I have it and its annoying) I'm hoping you can turn that off and change the theme...

Why the heck is there a search box in the start menu... anyhow... IE 7.0 o.O um i don't like the look at all... now its just up to performance
Notoroge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Agreed. Why the HELL don't they fix the underlying Operating System instead of fancy GUI? Competing with OS X on the visuals is useless if you don't have the system to back it up. But then again, it's Microsoft (tm). It's all about the visuals.
md

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I must point out that you really can't tell much about hte underlying OS (except that user stuff is now in the "Users" directory) from screen shots.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:54 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:
I must point out that you really can't tell much about hte underlying OS (except that user stuff is now in the "Users" directory) from screen shots.
Obviously. But I've read some reports, articles, Microsoft Documentation, and the likes, which bring me to the conclusion that Longhorn is nothing but a pretty WindowsXP with a few more bundled apps.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Notoroge wrote:
Agreed. Why the HELL don't they fix the underlying Operating System instead of fancy GUI? Competing with OS X on the visuals is useless if you don't have the system to back it up. But then again, it's Microsoft (tm). It's all about the visuals.

This is funny because Longhorn still doesn't look as good as OSX, nor does it match OSX's underlying OS. Laughing
1of42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:

Thank you.

OH NOES!!11 THEY PRINTAD SCREENSH0TS!!!H4LP!111 WINDOWS SUCKZ0RS!11eleventyone!!1 Evil or Very Mad

Let's all get angry about all of the deep things we find out abou the operating system from this screenshot. Rolling Eyes

For the record: I don't think it looks greater. But I'm not going to spaz about it.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amailer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

History also says M$ sucks and allows some spazzing Rolling Eyes
Anyhow, I complained only about the look- nothing more Rolling Eyes but I don't expect much change in the the performance either but iunno never tried it
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yay, a fancy new skin for Windows XP.

Seriously, if Microsoft wants people to take thems seriously, then they have to show some sign that they're making real progress.

Why do people really like open source software? They like it because they can check on a day-to-day basis to see if problems and feature requests are being addressed, and if not, they can switch to some other software. With proprietary, closed source software, and especially with a vendor as tight-lipped as MS, you're stuck taking their word for it and waiting.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

1of42 wrote:
Thank you.

OH NOES!!11 THEY PRINTAD SCREENSH0TS!!!H4LP!111 WINDOWS SUCKZ0RS!11eleventyone!!1 Evil or Very Mad

Let's all get angry about all of the deep things we find out abou the operating system from this screenshot. Rolling Eyes

For the record: I don't think it looks greater. But I'm not going to spaz about it.
*Thinking out-loud*
Resist the temptation...
Resist the temptation...
Resist the temptation...
Resist the temptation...
Resist the temptation...
Resist the temptation...
Resist the temptation...
Resist the temptation...
Resist the temptation...

*SNAP*

ARE YOU FØCKING STUPID!? DO I LOOK FØCKING STUPID?! EVERYONE IS FØCKING STUPID! YAY! LET'S ALL JUST FØCK OFF AND START YELLING OUT STUPIDITIES WITHOUT BOTHERING TO READ ANY OF THE POSTS REGARDING THEIR REASONINGS AS TO WHY WE CONCLUDE OUT OWN DECISIONS! LOOK AT ME! I LOVE TO TYPE "!11eleventyone!!1" BECAUSE IT MAKES ME LOOK WITTY AND INTELLIGENT! AS IF I HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOUR! IT DOESN'T BOTHER ME THAT IT'S AN IDIOT JOKE THAT'S BEEN WAY TOO OVERUSED TO HAVE ANY HUMOROUS EFFECT WHAT-SO-EVER! HEY EVERYONE! PLEASE LIKE ME! RANDOMLY RANTING ABOUT STUPID THINGS SO THAT PEOPLE CAN SEE WHAT HIGH STANDARDS AND CLASS I HAVE IS COOL! RIGHT?! RIGHT?! HEY! HEY! LOOK AT ME! PLEASE?! JUST FOR GOOD MEASURE, I'M GOING TO CALL YOU A SPAZ EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVEN'T SAID ANYTHING EXTATICALLY! OKAY!? THAT WAY I CAN SEEM COOL AND IN CONTROL WHILE I'LL SHOW EVERYONE HOW MUCH OF A MAC FANBOY YOU ARE! OKAY!? OKAY!? WILL YOU LIKE ME THEN!?

For the Record:
Notoroge wrote:
Obviously. But I've read some reports, articles, Microsoft Documentation, and the likes, which bring me to the conclusion that Longhorn is nothing but a pretty WindowsXP with a few more bundled apps.

Notoroge wrote:

Notoroge wrote:

Notoroge wrote:

Notoroge wrote:

Notoroge wrote:

There. Will that suffice? Please tell me how many more times I have to repeat that sentence before it is burned into your thick, mushy, pudding of a brain of yours. At least Cornflake was polite about my ambiguous post, and allowed for contructive conversation. Whereas you are nothing more than an attention seeking whòre.

Update: Thank you....idiot.
Neo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Claping I am not worthy I'm with stupid
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes...

All I can tell from those screenshots is that I'm going to have a lot of stuff to delete, or try to delete. Windows Media Player 10, IE7, MSN... At least they kept Command Prompt Neutral. Only improvement over XP that I could tell is that now they have "Lock Computer".

One thing I could never understand about XP was why they had those annoying and hard-to-use templates. Personally, I immediately go to "classic view", don't know about anyone else...

*edit* Hmm, it seems they also have double x, minimizer and maximizer boxes - should be interesting. Can't describe it better, just look at the screenshots!
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It's not a matter of people taking Microsoft seriously. Microsoft doesn't have to worry about that...they have no real competition. Apple prices themselves out of the market, and Linux is too hard to use for people to want to switch on a large scale (not that the Linux users care). Microsoft targets 95% of the market with their software. Nobody else does that (which is why Microsoft is in such a comfortable position).

It looks like Microsoft is fixing the problems with the operating system. Monad will be the most powerful scripting tool to date (if it makes it in), and they're fixing the permission system to be more like how it should have been 5 years ago.
1of42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Notoroge wrote:

*random bitching* *snip*

There. Will that suffice? Please tell me how many more times I have to repeat that sentence before it is burned into your thick, mushy, pudding of a brain of yours. At least Cornflake was polite about my ambiguous post, and allowed for contructive conversation. Whereas you are nothing more than an attention seeking whòre.

Update: Thank you....idiot.

Did I say your opinion wasn't correct? No. I simply pointed out (in a somewhat satirical way) that using every opportunity you can get to criticize Microsoft makes you come off as (to say the least) slightly ignorant. They're not perfect, they're not even that great, but seeing a screenshot and launching into a rant about them is rather pathetic.

The fact that you then spent what must have been a significant chunk of time to post entirely in bold, in alternating colors, steadily increasing in size , replacing all naughty words with weird accents (because that clearly obscures their meaning Rolling Eyes ) sort of goes to prove my point. Leaving the capslock key down makes the 12-year old image complete.

Excuse me for having a differing opinion and not being on the anti-MS Linux bandwagon, oh great all-knowing user of bold text.

And by the way, yes, after that post, you do look pretty

Notoroge wrote:
FØCKING STUPID
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 4  [ 57 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: