Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Firefox: Opening new windows in tab?
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Neo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:54 pm   Post subject: Firefox: Opening new windows in tab?

In Opera there is an option to do this, but how would I do it in firefox?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Grab the Tabbrowser extension.
rdrake

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You could right click on the link and go to "Open Link in new Tab", click on the link with your middle mouse button, or if you have mouse gestures installed, run your mouse up or down (I can't remember which one) over the link. All of these will open the window in a new tab.

If you mean open windows that open in their own window, then I don't know of an option that'll let it do that.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't really understand that question, although I sometime wonder about something like that myself... Hard to explain.

Thanks cartoon_shark, I didn't know that middle mouse button opened in a new tab - pretty handy Smile.
1of42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, I use the middle-mouse button all the time in Firefox. I'm also pretty sure there's something that will allow you to make all new windows open in new tabs - might be in the Options.
Mazer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think there's a solution for it in about:config. Failing that, there is an extension, I believe, that forces new windows to open in a new tab instead. (as opposed to using trabbrowser extensions for one thing, which if I remember correctly, gave me some annoyances the first time I tried using it. Though I could be wrong!)
EDIT: Woah, rearranging tabs? /me downloads the extension
Neo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
in firefox, browse to the page "about:config"

Look for the configuration setting for "browser.tabs.opentabfor.windowopen" and set it to true.

Hmm... I did just that and it doesnt seem to work. Confused

EDIT: just got the tabbed browsing extension, works fine now. Wink
shorthair

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

why would you not just press , CTRL + T

Confused Confused you guys make things so complicated
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Neo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

shorthair wrote:
why would you not just press , CTRL + T

Confused Confused you guys make things so complicated

The idea is to open a link in a new tab vs opening a link in a new window.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

More importantly, why aren't you using Opera? Crying or Very sad
Neo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Notoroge wrote:
More importantly, why aren't you using Opera? Crying or Very sad

I tried it for a week, just didnt like the feel of it.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

But the feel is what makes it so coooool! Crying or Very sad
Oh, suuuuuuuuure, you don't like the feel of Opera, but you want to make Firefox more like it. Mad
Amailer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What? firefox more like it? noooo maybe the speed but thats all (even the voice is now really anoying). + I why do you want new window links to open in a tab? O well atleast your not trying to make it like IE Rolling Eyes
Notoroge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It's more organized. I hate having multiple windows. It get's cluttered and annoying. *BUT*, I do like Opera's multiple Windows in one big work area while still having tabs on the top to control the focus. And if I want to minimize everything, just minimize the work area! Huzzah!

Pretty Screenshot!

The voice commands thing is USEFUL. Not a fad. I make it read to me when I'm tired (eBooks aren't as painful on the eyes. When they start hurting, I just load the text into Opera and make it read them to me. Smile And going to websites is really awsome. Instead of typing URLs over and over. I have different keywords for different topics. "Off Topic", "General", "Turing", all assigned accordingly.
1of42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

While the voice control sounds nice, it's not nice enough to make me switch to the browser that I found to be the worst I ever used (save Netscape.. ugh). It may be better now, but when I used it, it drove me away.

And that workspace thing looks like basically tabbed browsing without the automatic maximized content window... so basically the same.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 20 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: