Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Starting C++
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
bullets

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:01 pm   Post subject: Starting C++

Well im gonna start learning C++ i know some turing stuff ect. which is supposed to help me understand programming languages. I was reading though that i should know C if i know C++ or should i just shoot for one or just go after java?? also are there any places, things ect that i should know about other teh l33t n sexy guides here

EDIT: also there are C and C++ guides mabey do the same thing like in the turing section eh?? make a seperate post with the proper ones for each section?? Very Happy just help newbies out Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Of C and C++, C++ is the language to learn. However, neither is friendly to newbies. Neither is Java, for that matter. Pick up something like Ruby or Python first.

If you're masochistic and dead set on learning C++ or Java, check out the relevant tutorials sections here.
bullets

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:53 pm   Post subject: Re: Starting C++

bullets wrote:
other teh l33t n sexy guides here

Very Happy

so pick up ruby or python first is there one that would help me understand C++ better on when i go to learn it?? or mabey one that is a lil more..... fun
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sure. The only way to learn is experience. Experience is gained by experimentation. Ruby and Python both make it very easy to experiment. Smile
bullets

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ur no help Razz
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Trying to save you some pain. I'm currently working with several people trying to learn C++. Weeks in and they're still working on mastering the most basic syntactic constructs.

It's very frustrating to see people getting turned off because they choose to start with languages that present so much to understand before you can do anything.
bullets

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol no not about that thx for it though
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Trying to save you some pain. I'm currently working with several people trying to learn C++. Weeks in and they're still working on mastering the most basic syntactic constructs.

Oh man, I'm going to cry now Crying or Very sad. There's a lot to it, that's one of larger reasons, lots more to understand than all the Turing libraries combined, lots more. Am I doing that bad compared to other newbies?

How well do you know Turing? If you know it pretty well then I think you will probably get a good hang on something higher level like Ruby.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:
wtd wrote:

Oh man, I'm going to cry now Crying or Very sad

I was actually thinking of someone else. You're doing decently. Smile
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That's good to know, I'm trying. Without your help I would be still trying to figure out how to keep the window open long enough to read it Laughing
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Here's the real secret to keeping the window open... run the program from the command-line. The program will run and immediately terminate when it finishes, but the window will still be there. This is the way prorams are meant to work.
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: