Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 New Laptop
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
lyam_kaskade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:01 pm   Post subject: New Laptop

Okay here we go. I'm going to be buying a new laptop for when I go off to University next year. I've been probing the internet for about 10 hours now trying to decide, but since this is alot of money, it's a difficult decision.
I sort of wanted to switch to AMD, but unfortunately their mobile processors consume much more power than their Intel counterparts. Except for the Turion, which I haven't been able to find on a decent laptop.
I've been looking at the Asus Build-On laptops, but I'm not too sure about them.

And so, I decided to post this thread to see if the intelligent people here had any input. I'll be using this laptop for school mainly, but I don't want to completely rule out gaming (although I probably should if I want a cheap laptop). I'd like it to last me all four years, so it should be somewhat upgradeable. Lastly, I'd like it to be under $1500 CAD with tax (15%).

Thanks for your help.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Don't buy a cheap laptop. Inexpensive isn't bad, but a cheap laptop is just horrible.

For games... buy an Xbox or such.

And of course, consider why you're looking for a laptop, and whether you really need one, or could get everything you need done with a desktop.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

See, the problem is that many universities now require you to have a laptop at school, for the more computer oriented courses. Still, I don't know much about buying laptops, but you can buy a good one for 1600 without tax.

As I said before, computers are much better for gaming (desktops mostly). You would want to be able to run at least something decent on your computer. The problem is, do you want some pretty good video card on it, or are you going to get some pretty cheap gpu which you can watch movies and do your work on.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:13 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I know that for Univ I'm buying a cheap $600 laptop. I don't need it for anything other than Word and printing stuff. And watching a lot of Anime. Smile I don't know what the tech courses require. But I know many Univ's have minimum required specs on their websites for computer courses that require laptops. Try searching around a bit so that you have a more accurate idea of what you're looking for.

On the bright side, really low-spec laptops give massive battery-life. Plus, I don't even think I'd use it to watch anime. Since I'd already have my desktop. I'd only need the notebook for, well, note-taking.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:29 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Notoroge wrote:
On the bright side, really low-spec laptops give massive battery-life.

Except of course that cheap laptops often have crappy batteries.

You get what you pay for.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

$1500 for a laptop is completely reasonable I think. Don't expect to get a great gaming computer, but for $1500, you can get a very functional computer.

I'd recommend getting an IBM one for that price. The specs aren't as high as you could get for the price, but you get a very solid laptop for what you're paying. click.

It's $1450, but a pretty solid notebook. You'll like it. I know it's over your budget (about $1670 with tax).

The alternative is to use school computers and get yourself something truely portable like a PDA. Cheaper, and way easier to transport (plus you can use it as an mp3 player and such). Most (all) universities have very good computer labs, and are wireless throughout most of the campus. Also, not having your own computer will keep you off of the web and MSN (a good thing).

And, as with most things in life, stick with brands that you know and trust. With notebook especially, you get what you pay for, and there is a lot more to a notebook than just the numbers.

Trust IBM, Apple, Toshiba and Dell. Alienware and Sony also make great computers, but they'll cost you an arm and a leg.

EDIT: Also, look at these.
click
I've never had any trouble with Dell (in fact, I've had excellent experiences with them), but others may tell you differently. They do make solid laptops though.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
They do make solid laptops though.

They use much the same third party manufacturers as everyone else, so they have the potential to sell decent stuff, but Dell invests jack squat in quality control. That's how they're turning a profit when others are struggling.

Can you get a decent system from Dell? Quite possibly. It's a roll of the roulette wheel, though.

Stick with the big three and you'll be happy: Apple, IBM, Toshiba.
Neo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Get an Asus. The Z71V:

Quote:

512M DDR2 ( 512M x1, Dual Channel Supported )
60G 5400rpm 8M HD( Upgradable to SATA HD )
DVD & CDRW Combo Drive
128M nVidia 6600 PCI Express Video
Wireless-G & Gigabit Lan
15.4" WSXGA+ ( 1680x1050 ) / Carrying Case
( The optical drive bay Supports module hot swap function and 2nd HDD/2nd Battery )

All for $1499 CAD. There are sites out there that will let you customize it to your liking. If youre not into gaming then get the Z71A. It has an integrated video card and sells for $300 less.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
shorthair

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Name : Compaq R4025 15.4 UltraBright

Price: $ 1499.99** (buy at staples and use price match , to get it for 1450.99)

Link:Compaq R4025

Specs

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ With Cool N'Quiet Very Happy Very Happy
15.4" Widescreen WXGA High Definition BrightView
1024MB DDR SDRAM (2 x 512MB) At 333MHz Very Happy
80GB 4200RPM
DVD+/-R/RW, CD-RW Combo Dual Layer Very Happy
ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M IGP With 128MB DDR (Dedicated)
4.8 kg
Wireless-G & Gigabit Lan
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
System Bus Up To 2000MHz
Neo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The 6600 eats the 200M for breakfast. And the HD and ram on that is a bit out dated dont u think?
shorthair

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Never , said it was the best. but its a good laptop at a great price. sure there may be better. but i like My Compaq Standard, its warranty and its Support.

And Compaq Laptops Seem to be really linux friendly, well all the ones i have owned anyways. Very Happy Very Happy
1of42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:33 pm   Post subject: Re: New Laptop

lyam_kaskade wrote:
Okay here we go. I'm going to be buying a new laptop for when I go off to University next year. I've been probing the internet for about 10 hours now trying to decide, but since this is alot of money, it's a difficult decision.
I sort of wanted to switch to AMD, but unfortunately their mobile processors consume much more power than their Intel counterparts. Except for the Turion, which I haven't been able to find on a decent laptop.
I've been looking at the Asus Build-On laptops, but I'm not too sure about them.

And so, I decided to post this thread to see if the intelligent people here had any input. I'll be using this laptop for school mainly, but I don't want to completely rule out gaming (although I probably should if I want a cheap laptop). I'd like it to last me all four years, so it should be somewhat upgradeable. Lastly, I'd like it to be under $1500 CAD with tax (15%).

Thanks for your help.

http://www.notebookforums.com

Look around there. In terms of something for your price, I would personally suggest one of the Dell Inspirons, for which you can get very good prices with their coupons.

The Asus Z71V is a nice laptop as well.
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:22 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i'll be getting the z71v as soon as i come back from china, i've sent 6 months looking for a good one and the z71v will get you the most outta your buck
Delos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:29 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Just as a side not from a person who's talked to many people who use laptops in lecture...make sure you have some sort of insulation between your machine and your legs, since it can get very hot at its base.
Something to think about...perhaps just wearing jeans will cut it...
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Delos wrote:
Just as a side not from a person who's talked to many people who use laptops in lecture...make sure you have some sort of insulation between your machine and your legs, since it can get very hot at its base.
Something to think about...perhaps just wearing jeans will cut it...

Would I be a luddite if I suggested that a wire-bound notebook and a couple of good pens is a far better, and far more cost-effective means of taking notes?

I mean, try insering a quick hand-drawn sketch of some diagram on a whiteboard into a typed set of notes.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 23 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: