Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Student Printer
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Delos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:13 pm   Post subject: Student Printer

Well, with September rolling in pretty fast I realized that I need to get myself a printer. I'd rather not take the one from home since my parents would still need something to print with while I was gone. Anyone have any suggestions of printers to get meeting the following criteria:
- must be student budget friendly. You know what I mean.
- refills should be readily available. Now, I'm not sure at all whether I should go in for an Inkjet or a Laser printer. I've heard that the latter only need to be refilled once every few umm...[insert long period of time here].
- should be able to handle upto 20 pages a week...make that 30 [sigh]. Damn Lab manuals...

Merçi beaucoup à tout le-monde.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If you don't need things to look overly pretty, a dot-matrix printer may be a good idea. You don't have to worry about changing the ribbon for a very long time. By golly, they are slow, however. And noisy. So long as you don't have (room/suite)mates with sensitive hearing and you don't leave the reports to the last few minutes, it should be fine in that regard. Smile
jamonathin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lexmark 3 in 1's are pretty good, and im pretty sure they weren't even that expensive . . i got mine for 80$. But im pretty sure that was a sale price.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Canon i320 printer. It's Bubble-jet. Comes with free black/colour ink. Really good dpi. Cost me about $50. If you get the "KO-REC-TYPE" refills from Staples, they cost $9.50 a piece for black, and $12 for colour. One black cartridge can do around 60 pages of text if you set the quality to normal. Have had it for almost 2.5 years. If you set it to max quality, print some photos out and you'll go "Shocked"

http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review203.html
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006CBDV/ref=pd_sxp_f/102-2034136-8351366?v=glance&s=electronics

I'm starting to think they don't sell them anymore. It is an old model. But there has to be a modern-day equivalent to it that's most likely better and cheaper.
rdrake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Anything Canon seems to be good. I had a Canon bubblejet 2100 for 9 years and it still worked. The cartridges are cheap too. The one I have now is the Canon MP130 which is $129.99 and does a really great job. No Linux support though, but it works well with Windows. It's a multifunction as well.

Lexmarks are crap from my experience. The cartridges are expensive and the printer itself doesn't last long before giving poor printing results. It's also very unreliable. Mine was a Lexmark X-74/X-75.
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:59 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i'd opt for an cannon, they make really good printers... but the fairly good ones are at about 200 bux... umm hp all inones are nice too, you can get one for 150. i recommend going to pc megazines website and looking up their list of recommended printers
Delos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:30 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks all, I shall continue my search in earnest...soon...
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Get one of those uber color laser printers, then earn back its worth by charging others to use it at a less costly price than those available in public!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: