Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Residence Computer Consultant at Waterloo
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Neo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:49 pm   Post subject: Residence Computer Consultant at Waterloo

Any of you guys here an RCC? What does it take to be an RCC, I mean do you have to be a crazy h4X0r? And is it worthwhile?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin was a RCC, so he should be able to give you a good idea what it entails. I did a lot of helping people to get things working on my own (probably just as much as martin) and it was quite easy most of the time. The big ones I had to deal with were 1) no network cable 2) plugged in moden thinking it was network and 3) freakishly long delays before plugging in and getting an IP from the dhcp server.

I'd recomend that if you value highspeed and you can aford it that you get rogers. Resnet is ok speed-wise; but it get's really bogged down when you really need it, like to register for classes during the winter. Rogers on the otherhand if fast (like faster then resnet half the time) and suffers none of the slowdowns during registration time. And if you split it with your room mates it's like $20 a month.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

If I remember correctly, most of the RCCs (other than Martin) didn't really know what's going on.

Though most of the time it's as simple as plugging in the wire for them (some are incapable of matching a wire to a similar sized opening) and perhaps removing spyware..

You get some money out of this, perhaps enough to buy yourself a new phone with mute option. Because you will get annoyed by intellectually challanged people attempting to get themselves online. Though if you've got a blank resume, it's something to put on.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

My advice: unplug your phone. Being an RCC sucks. You help people connect to ResNet. Not much more...it's pretty easy stuff. You can put it on your resume at least.
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:10 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i sent them my resume a week ago, and got no reply, how long should i wait before asking them if they got it?
lyam_kaskade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Andy wrote:

i sent them my resume a week ago, and got no reply, how long should i wait before asking them if they got it?

Me too. They probably won't send any confirmations until August or something. There wasn't really a deadline, so resumes might still coming in.
Maybe Martin will know..
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:43 am   Post subject: (No subject)

it should be an elegant solution.. it's been proved already
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, as I recall, they didn't tell me until right before the semester. Don't worry, I don't think they say no to any applications.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Neo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
Yeah, as I recall, they didn't tell me until right before the semester. Don't worry, I don't think they say no to any applications.

Even to those that are taking art?
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:
Martin was a RCC, so he should be able to give you a good idea what it entails. I did a lot of helping people to get things working on my own (probably just as much as martin) and it was quite easy most of the time. The big ones I had to deal with were 1) no network cable 2) plugged in moden thinking it was network and 3) freakishly long delays before plugging in and getting an IP from the dhcp server.

Laughing
Things I deal with at home often >_<, that and my friends plugging the router into the wrong uplink port on the hub... which has me thinking whether it should come with a manual... -_-, c'mon, its a hub.

"did you plug the router into the right port?"
"yes"
*10 minutes of troubleshooting later
"uh... no, no you didn't"
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:54 am   Post subject: (No subject)

No, they clearly hire artsies too.
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:23 am   Post subject: (No subject)

err.. anyone wanna tell me why they dropped the pay from 400 to 200??
Neo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I've never seen it at $400. Right now its $300.

Quote:

$200 compensation for the fall term
$100 compensation for the winter/spring term
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:32 am   Post subject: (No subject)

nono thats not what i meant.. according to martin, they were paying 400 a term last term
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:33 am   Post subject: (No subject)

o and btw, if any one gets in, plz post here
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 26 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: