Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Googles new nemesis
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
MihaiG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:03 pm   Post subject: Googles new nemesis

well i recently found this new engine
accoona it better and coem wit a toolbar that has links to chess Very Happy and a small java applet!!

switch to accoona now!

from accoona.com

About Accoona
Accoona provides a great interactive search experience to its users. The user is more involved in determining his/her search results by being able to highlight and emphasize selected keywords.

This revolutionary Interactive Search Technology, combined with proprietary Artificial Intelligence Software that understands the meaning of words, delivers SuperTargetedTM Search results that significantly differentiate Accoona in the Search Industry.

Accoona Artificial Intelligence now takes the Search Experience to the next level by merging information from both the Web and the Accoona Business Database in real time. For the first time on an Internet Search Platform, Accoona presents business website content and its relevant business data in a complementary format.

about AI

Accoona Artificial Intelligence is a Search Technology that understands the meaning of search queries beyond the conventional method of matching keywords. This user-friendly technology, merging online and offline information, delivers more relevant results and enhances the user experience.Accoona's Artificial Intelligence allows the user to enhance their search in three major ways:

First of all, Accoona's Artificial Intelligence uses the meaning of words to get you better searches. For example, when you type five keywords in a traditional search engine, you're going to get every page that has all five keywords, no more, no less. With Accoona's Artificial Intelligence Software, which understands the meaning of the query, the user will get many additional results.

Accoona's Artificial Intelligence also SuperTargetsTM your search. For example, within a query of five keywords, Accoona Artificial Intelligence allows the user to highlight one keyword, and will rank the search results starting by every page where the meaning of that one keyword is more important than the meaning of the other four keywords.

Also, Accoona's Artificial Intelligence merges information from the Web and the Accoona Business Information Database in real time. For example, when you go online and try to buy a new computer, instantly you will get a listing of all URLs of computer dealers. In real time, Accoona's Artificial Intelligence technology merges with the URLs, all relevant information about this company, from phone number, fax number, address, and name of the contact to business description.

soudn really good actually got something that i wanted faster than google/msn
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Kyle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hmm
I have done some testing. I typed in www.compsci.ca at google.ca and nothing came up and then i typed in www.compsci.ca at acoona.com and 2 results for this site came up.
I also typed in other things and got different results like alienware computers got different results but i like GOOGLE and besides GOOGLE would probly come out with something like that in the months to come. Very Happy [/b]
Bacchus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

did a similar search for compsci.ca and got +10 pages of results not only to this site but to other sites linking to this one. On accoona I only got 4 results...
lyam_kaskade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If you want to search pages from a specific domain (eg. www.compsci.ca) on google you have to put
site:www.google.ca

It gives about 2820 results.
Drakain Zeil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Accoon-a-ma-tata?

What a wonderful phrase.... but it's just some passin' craze...

it means less search results, for the rest of your daysss....

it\s the low-result, low-yeilding

new search engine...

ohhh accon-a-ma-tata....
Notoroge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, if it's new then I would only expect it to have low results. It's not like their bots have been crawling the web as much as Google's have gotten a chance too. But once they catch up we'll really be able to see a good comparison of the two.
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I think google's biggest threat over the next five years will be:

1. Themselves.
If Google goes stagnant, they're in for some trouble.

2. http://www.a9.com/
Google is an advertising service. Amazon sells stuff too. Seems like a deadly combination (a prelude to GoogleZon?). A9 is a pretty slick search engine (built with google tech).
Kyle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wow A9 is pritty dam amazing typed in my clan tag and it poped up with 2 results :{ accoona did not. But google did aswell. 8)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

A9 uses google's search technology.

I like it because I can search everything that I want...be it books, text, wikipedia, images ... all at the same time.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:

I like it because I can search everything that I want...be it books, text, wikipedia, images ... all at the same time.
Uh, that's what Google does. :/ Searches everything at thesame time. If you want to look up something specific, that's what the "filetype" tag is for. Try it out,
Go to Google and type,
filetype:torrent anime
1of42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Notoroge wrote:
Martin wrote:

Uh, that's what Google does. :/ Searches everything at thesame time. If you want to look up something specific, that's what the "filetype" tag is for. Try it out,
Go to Google and type,

That was his point. He said it uses Google technology, so he likes it.

And accoona's not Gogle's new nemesis. Google has, imo way too much new innovative stuff in dev; their search engine is far from the only thing they have going for them right now.
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Notoroge wrote:
Martin wrote:

Go to Google and type,

Hey, that makes life so much easier...Smile

But like...check out A9, how it lays things out in columns. Tres cool.
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Looks too crowded to me... iunno, I like google especially with CustomizeGoogle extension in firefox
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: