Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Respawning in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:25 pm   Post subject: Respawning in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

Yeah, it's news from Slashdot, shoot me (lol, try!)
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15739502-13762,00.html

That'd be really exciting. Though it would suck to die and wake up far in the future with no memory and a huge hospital bill for your resurrection...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Neo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
Plans to test the technique on humans should be realised within a year, according to the Safar Centre.

Sign me up! Laughing
MihaiG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

so that makes me invincibale eh? i shall go rob some banks now Twisted Evil
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You know i whould love to shoot you drain your body of all it's blood, filling with an ice-cold salt solution, fixing, bring you back and reapeting. could be alot of fun.

Serriusesly tho, i don't know if any of you have had an IV b4 b/c they hurt like hell now chaging your blood and filling with salt??? This whould hurt so much i whould rather be dead. I assume u whould be out for this but still, owch.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:20 pm   Post subject: Re: Respawning in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

Coutsos wrote:
That'd be really exciting. Though it would suck to die and wake up far in the future with no memory and a huge hospital bill for your resurrection...

Well not quite. The technique only preserves the tissue/organs, doesn't actually repair them.

You know how your TAGGGG sequence deteriorates during every cell replication? As soon as it hits that A, you're done.. That assuming that a hydrogen ion doesn't scramble your DNA and cause cancer sooner. So mortality is quite real. And while replacing tissue and even organs is already a common practice; repairing deteriorating neuron connections in your brain (or rather lack of ability to do so) is what keeps us dead.

The only thing worse then death is immortality anyways Laughing
Bacchus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:43 pm   Post subject: Re: Respawning in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

[quote="Tony"]
Coutsos wrote:
I'll agree to that, It would suck being Immortal
brenn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:10 am   Post subject: Re: Respawning in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

Tony wrote:
You know how your TAGGGG sequence deteriorates during every cell replication? As soon as it hits that A, you're done..

Telomeres ... (sp?)
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

How much you wanna bet this is gonna fail on humans? something like this always goes wrong o.O

Still... insane...and...weird...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:02 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
You know i whould love to shoot you drain your body of all it's blood, filling with an ice-cold salt solution, fixing, bring you back and reapeting. could be alot of fun.

Serriusesly tho, i don't know if any of you have had an IV b4 b/c they hurt like hell now chaging your blood and filling with salt??? This whould hurt so much i whould rather be dead. I assume u whould be out for this but still, owch.

Actually, you'd be dead for that one, so I don't imagine it'd hurt very much. I bet you'd be sore when you woke up though...
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:09 pm   Post subject: Re: Respawning in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

[quote="Bacchus"]
Tony wrote:
Coutsos wrote:
I'll agree to that, It would suck being Immortal

Laughing You quote Tony, but it pops up as Coutsos.

Who would want to wake up some time in the distant future anyway? What if there is no world or its all mutants or something?
I wouldn't take the risk that it might fail on me.

*EDIT* gah! whats the problem with quotes?
Bacchus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

lol Razz
But ya it will screw up somehow on humans and cause some brain eating zombie race to come forth and try to destroy the world.
md

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:29 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Um... the key thing people seem to be missing is that a) it only works for an hour or two and b) it doesn't fix anything. This does not make you imortal, nor keep you alive forever; but if you get shot it could give them enough time to fix the holes before you die (and can't be revived).

The interesting things is; if you are clinically dead when this happens does that mean that the executor of your estate (guy with teh will) get's your power of atournee (sp?) while you are dead? Seems to me like the legal implications might be rather large...
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Its like time travel, if it can work for years.
MyPistolsIn3D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:05 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Thats awsome.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

MyPistolsIn3D wrote:
Thats awsome.

That's spam. Evil or Very Mad

I'm liking that legal point Cornflake made. One can get away from certain responsibilities by being dead. Though despite what HHGTTG suggests, you can't just turn yourself dead to avoid taxes.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: