Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 CSS Help
Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Amailer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:24 pm   Post subject: CSS Help

Hey,
I need some help here.... I'm building a clan site for my friend http://www.aov.gfx-pro.ath.cx/

If you visit that site, you'll see that there is a menu on the left hand side.. and that its like floating in a static position (inside the um id body_box).

Now what I want to do is make it so that, if the text is longer then the menu... the lower part of the menu gets automatically streached also so that the text doesn't go under it like it does now...

Anyone know how?
Thanks

P.S It took me a while to figure out how on earth to make the menu go inside another id and yet be stuck on one side of it while the text is on the other... i.e. what the site currently looks like... I'll try and figure it out my self but im a bity lazy atm Razz

P.S.S Also, how on earth do I make it so that links open in a new window? XHTML Strict doens't allow target="_blank" ....

P.S.S.S o.O anyhow, I asked this guy who is- amazing in designing... but he said I should use one colour (red) and use diffrent shades of it.. including orange tho... so just wanna know if I should do that or just stick with the green/red
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm thinking setting the left padding on the main text area to the width of your menu plus a bit should do it. I haven't really looked at your css or html though so I'm not quite sure.
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:23 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Uh, I don't think the padding would do it...
The thing is, its 'floating' towards the left of the body_box because thats currently the only way I know how to make like two rows
MENU | Body Text

On IE it works- though it looks ugly on IE o.O
So hard to make things compatiable :S but im so close....
Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hey, I found out a way to make an image hover...

CSS:

a .button {
        float: right;
        width: 59px;
        height: 27px;
        background-image: url(../images/button_up.gif);
}

a:hover .button {
        background-image: url(../images/button_down.gif);
}

HTML:

<a href="#"><div class="button"></div></a>

It seems to be working (on IE/Firefox/Opera) but... when I do the XHTML Validator, it says I cannot use DIV like that... any idea what other tag I could use to replace div? I tried span but it just screws up my site layout o.O
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:14 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Strange... I tried it before and it didn't work but now I tried it and it worked Laughing yay

CSS:

a.button {
        width: 59px;
        height: 27px;
        background-image: url(../images/button_up.gif);
}

a:hover.button {
        background-image: url(../images/button_down.gif);
}

HTML:

<a href="#" class="button">&nbsp;</a>

yay
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yay Micrsoft for not implementing hover on every element, like every other sane browser does.
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, its REALLY anoying to make your site compatible to pretty much all browsers o.O I don't know if thats possiable.

I got 1 prob, (actually 2 bug iunno if 2 can be solved) in Opera if you view the 'search box' (on that site aov) you'll see that its a bit messed and it isn't where its suppose to be (view on Firefox/IE to see how its suppose to be).

If I removed the margins/padding- there is still for some odd anoying reason- a big gap on top (from the top part of the image to the search textbox)... something is wrong with opera and its killing it all..... Sad
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: