Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 New U.S Court ruling
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Amailer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:13 pm   Post subject: New U.S Court ruling

File-sharing suffers major defeat

Is the guy who created BT in the U.S? because if he is-- wouldn't get sued-- big time? 0.O sadness.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thats like saying if I created a P2P program in my interests, and it became popular and was majorly improved by others then widely spread, would I get sued?
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

BBC NEWS wrote:

But in this latest ruling the judges sets aside this precedent and the lower court decisions and means the makers of a technology have to answer for what people do with it if they use it to break the law.

So if I install Windows OS on my hardware and it doesn't prevent me from screwing somebody over the internet... then Microsoft is at fault? Confused Thinking Twisted Evil This could be interesting
Delos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I particularly liked the 'other rulings' part of the report. Added a little - dare I say - ridicule to the proceedings? It's great to see that the big corps are *really* trying to take steps to see that they still make their bottom line. Since they've hit the ropes again, they do the good ol' pass-the-buck. Blame someone else, why don't they?
The funny thing is, these days it almost become elitist to 'own a CD!'. Almost. Perhaps they ought to start including things with whatever media they are selling that just aren't possible to distribute online.

Guy 1: OMG!!!1one!! Check out my new [insert band name] CD!
Guy 2: Awsome dude!
Guy 1: Yeah, great songs, extra DVD included double-u-slash [sic.] backstage footage. And would you look at this! It also includes a cliping of [lead singer's] toenails!
Guy 2: Rad...
Guy 1: I sure can't put this thing up on BearShare...or can I?
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hey, those 3 for $30 sales at HMV are killer...I hate you HMV, you're making me poor.

I have no problem paying for music, and $10 seems like a completely reasonable price for a CD. $24.99 does not, and any CD that I can't get for $10 or less gets downloaded.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, you're in luck. Because you can get any album in existance off the Apple iTunes Music Store for a $9.99 flat-rate. Wink
Either way, I'm pissed about this. But what could this mean in the end? My prediction, All OSS projects for P2P technology will be outsourced to other countries, the United States will have stiffled innovation, and once again fuxd over the small guy. Big corporations get to make trillions of dollars more than they need, and the legal system is bullsht.

This is news? If there's a will there's a way. P2P is not dying. And never will. Don't worry about that.
Amailer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

In a way it is good for us.. IN a way.... because we won't be getting sued as much now o.O they might be spending most of their time trying to sue the makers.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Read the Slashdot posts (Apperantly some Supremes read/post on Slashdot). This isn't a ruling against P2P in general. It's against companies advertising their software for the sole purpose of using their poduct for illegal activities.

Which in itself is stupid, because the product doesn't change at all. But, whatever.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Tony wrote:
BBC NEWS wrote:

But in this latest ruling the judges sets aside this precedent and the lower court decisions and means the makers of a technology have to answer for what people do with it if they use it to break the law.

So if I install Windows OS on my hardware and it doesn't prevent me from screwing somebody over the internet... then Microsoft is at fault? Confused Thinking Twisted Evil This could be interesting

I was whondering thiss too, so if we all start using msn as a p2p clinet and send illgeal files could we get M$ sused?

Hostly there is no way b/c M$ is a big comapny, the u.s. keeps making laws to screw over the litte guy. They are slowly cesoring the net witch hurts me so much. they are killing off posably one of the most imponrt devlponments in all of humman kind's time on this erath.

Tho this did lead me to thinking up a method to making a p2p app that could have untracable file trasafers. to bad it whould take alot of time to make it, tho i am shure i know how to do it.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Notoroge wrote:
Well, you're in luck. Because you can get any album in existance off the Apple iTunes Music Store for a $9.99 flat-rate. Wink

iTunes sucks. I use Linux (so no iTunes), and DRM is for suckers.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:36 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
Tony wrote:
BBC NEWS wrote:

I was whondering thiss too, so if we all start using msn as a p2p clinet and send illgeal files could we get M$ sused?

Hostly there is no way b/c M$ is a big comapny, the u.s. keeps making laws to screw over the litte guy. They are slowly cesoring the net witch hurts me so much. they are killing off posably one of the most imponrt devlponments in all of humman kind's time on this erath.

Tho this did lead me to thinking up a method to making a p2p app that could have untracable file trasafers. to bad it whould take alot of time to make it, tho i am shure i know how to do it.

Dan, that wouldn't work. Read the ruling, it says:
code:
"We hold that one who distributes a device with the object of promoting its use to infringe copyright ... is liable for the resulting acts of infringement by third parties."

What Notoroge said is correct -- it is not the P2P technology that is being ruled against, it is companies like Grokster who sell it for the sole purpose of carrying out illegal activities. Guns aren't illegal in the USA, but if Smith and Wesson put out a new marketing campaign whose premise was "Kids, buy our guns so you can kill your parents in their sleep and murder all your classmates!!!" then they would be in trouble too. Legitimate technologies like Bittorrent (which has many[url=http://www.legaltorrents.com/index.htm"] legal[/url] uses) are not in any danger. Personally, I say good riddance to companies like Grokster. So, your idea about getting MS in trouble is null because MSN's main purpose is clearly not illegal file sharing, regardless of how much of that actually does go on.

And I'm pretty sure an anonymized P2P is already in the works, I remember reading about it. Don't remember where though =/
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: