Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Compsci V3: How you can help
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:10 pm   Post subject: Compsci V3: How you can help

Hacker Dan wrote:
LETS GET THINGS GOING!

If any one knows ruby and has some knowledge of how phpbb works I could use some help with the development. Some of the functions it would be nice if other people could wire while I am working on the core of it would be:

• A function to take the post text and change the BBCode to html so it can be outputted.
  • A function to take the post text and take out any html tags that are not in our list of pre-approved tags.
  • A search function to search throw the post db and return the best matches.
  • More to come......

If any one is good in graphics we will need all kinds of things such as:

• Buttons
  • Logos
  • Images for templates
  • Section title images
  • Ect

If any one is good with web page development (html, java, style sheets), we need some one to work on making templates (views) for the site. Some temples would be:
  • Basically our own version of every phpbb one
  • A new cover page (title page/intro)
  • Templates for the mx system replacement
  • Templates for some of extras (quiz, mailer, ect)
  • More to come.....

If you are interested in helping with any of these pleas let me know and I will give you more info and you can start work with me on v3 ASAP. Also if I do not get much help from the staff I will move or make a topic like this in GD or news and start recruiting willing users. Hopefully we will get this thing done b4 next school year.

I will also post updates of the progress of the development in another topic in this forum.

Alright, so lets see how this should go...
ONLY if you are willing to help and actually help, not just say your going to and never do anything... post over here what you would like to help in and then maybe dan will reply and etc... (And lets try and keep this topic on topic shall we? lets not make it into another Aoi v3 suggestions topic Rolling Eyes )

I will be posting a "REAL" V3 Suggestion topic in the GD forum this way no one can go off topic -.-
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Notoroge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm game. Sadly I can't help out with the whole Ruby thing. And my knowledge of HTML / CSS is pretty basic right now. But I can make any graphics you want me to; so sign me up for that. Just tell me what to do. 8)
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hooah, 1/2697 ... now we'r getting somewhere!
I'll make sure dan gets you to do something else he shall die Rolling Eyes
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I can help out Notoroge if I'm good enough to compare. I am average at graphics, pretty good at doing graphical text and stuff like that. My knowledges of html are pretty basic too, so I don't really think I can help out with that. The most I would be able to do is change [b] to and stuff like that Wink.
Blade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Amailer wrote:
Hooah, 1/2697 ... now we'r getting somewhere!
I'll make sure dan gets you to do something else he shall die Rolling Eyes

hahahaha, its: HUA - heard, understood, acknowledged .. and only the people who are qualified in the top 3 of the hardest courses being: airborne, ranger and diving use it in canada. otherwise its an american term..

but i'm getting off topic, its just a pet peeve of mine

i would help, but i'm leaving to go on course in 2 weeks, i get done around the 28th of august so if there's any help you need in the html/css etc by that time i can help out.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Notoroge wrote:
I'm game. Sadly I can't help out with the whole Ruby thing.

http://www.rubyonrails.com

It's really fairly easy.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What the..? Did one of you mods delete two posts and revert mine to what it was before?

Damn, I think we just had another server crash and mini-rollback.

*EDIT in response to below post*
yes, true. But I assumed the worst since my edit was reverted Confused.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:
What the..? Did one of you mods delete two posts and revert mine to what it was before?

Damn, I think we just had another server crash and mini-rollback.
No, I just think a mod purged them becaues they forsaw that they would end-up throwing this thread offtopic and/or really weren't necessary. Wink
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:47 pm   Post subject: Re: Compsci V3: How you can help

Hacker Dan wrote:

[*]A function to take the post text and change the BBCode to html so it can be outputted.

Well since it's our software why do we have to use BBCode? Go with textile, the library is already written
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm sure we could do without BBCode, but almost everyone is already familiar with it. Though I din't see anything to suggest we can't do both.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:16 pm   Post subject: Re: Compsci V3: How you can help

Tony wrote:
Hacker Dan wrote:

[*]A function to take the post text and change the BBCode to html so it can be outputted.

Well since it's our software why do we have to use BBCode? Go with textile, the library is already written

i have been thinking about it and i may just replace bbcode wiht noraml html since it dose the same in the end. Tho another thing we have to consider is old posts using bbcode, they whould need to be converted. If the library is all ready writien for it it maybe a realy good idea. alot to think about, any ideas on how to slove the problem of old posts whould be nice.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:28 pm   Post subject: Re: Compsci V3: How you can help

Hacker Dan wrote:
i have been thinking about it and i may just replace bbcode wiht noraml html since it dose the same in the end.

I'm currently fighting for a moderately large site to abandon a system which allows user to directly inject HTML into submissions. It's pure madness to go down that path.
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:36 pm   Post subject: Re: Compsci V3: How you can help

Hacker Dan wrote:
Tho another thing we have to consider is old posts using bbcode, they whould need to be converted.

But what about Compsci Pheonix? We could just keep the old stuff in a seperate but easily accessible archive.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:18 pm   Post subject: Re: Compsci V3: How you can help

Coutsos wrote:
Hacker Dan wrote:
Tho another thing we have to consider is old posts using bbcode, they whould need to be converted.

But what about Compsci Pheonix? We could just keep the old stuff in a seperate but easily accessible archive.

hummm, i had not considered this. it could be a good idea, tho i whould like to save the tutorals and if we do that we whould still need to convert the bbcode.

wtd: when i was thinking about html as a sytem, it whould be slected html tags only.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:11 am   Post subject: (No subject)

To what extent will v3 be? Will users be kept? I would very much like posts to be archived, if not kept as they are.

Also, what's this?
forums wrote:
[FP] Contest
Final Projects Contest Submissions
Moderators Delos, Cervantes

I don't recall it saying who the moderators were.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 23 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: