Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 ESLOC: Do you use it?
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Cinjection

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:44 pm   Post subject: ESLOC: Do you use it?

Do any of you guys actually use esloc? or even know what it is. It's an acroniym for one of these two(depends on the source)

Effective (or Equivelent)
Source
Lines
Of
CCode

It's basiclly a better way of calculating your line cout. It doesn't count things like whitespace, comments and reused code. So my question is , do you guys use ESLOC?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

No. I hadn't heard of it.

If it was for Turing, would it count this as efficient use of code?

code:
put "thi"
put "this"
put "is"
put "a"
put "few"
put "words"

They're all unique after all?
Cinjection

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That's just bad coding thought. This is a tool for experianced programmers, not rookies playing with a language.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, I was just checking to see if it would put text into account, I guess that would be pretty advanced though.

It should be mentioned that this is for Java.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Shouldn't it be able to recognize all bad code? An experienced programmer's code is just as same as a rookies code. It's code. Therefore if a master programmer's code can be optimized, then a rookie's definitely could. If this even is a program. Or is it just some idea you came up with?
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

No, it's a program, google search it. It would be worth it if it told you how much actual efficient code there was, no matter experience. That way it could be a sort of standard.
Cinjection

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

True, but some things you just grow away from with experiance. Yes this is mostly used in Java, because of all the importing and reuse going on. You can download several ESLOC counters off the internet if you're interested.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Lines of code is one of the more bogus metrics for programmer productivity.

It's not surprising that Java programmers like it though, since their language of choice forces them to write so much useless boilerplate code. "Look, I wrote a thousand lines of Java code! Please ignore that It could have been done in 300 lines in some other programming language."
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: