Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Automatically locking old topics
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
md

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:31 am   Post subject: Automatically locking old topics

I was wondering if anyone had heard of a mod that would automatically lock a topic if there were no new posts in it for a month or two... I think that would solve the problem of people posting in TWO YEAR OLD TOPICS.

Just a thought, feel free to completely ignore this post and let it die a slow painful death before being revived in a year or two Wink
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, it does exist, not sure if dan would want to add it though, since his working on v3 and all.
But that would look weird... so many locked topics :S, it should be ONLY if someone posts in it it gets auto-locked :S.
zylum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

why lock the thread? couldnt you just mod it so that there wouldnt be the option to post a reply?
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

This could work a bit, but then what would happen to those stickies and tutorials that sometimes have long breaks in interest.

Something better needs to be done, since the problem isn't mostly posting in old topics, but spamming, flaming, and others.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, I don't think this is such a good idea. There are times when bringing up an old topic has its reasons, and is even good.
For example, an old tutorial on some concept is brought up because a new an better way of going about the part of the concept covered by that tutorial is discovered. If the topic were locked, this knowledge would never be shared! (Or maybe it would, but it would require the creating of a new thread.)
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You can make it so that the author of the thread, after a certain period of time has passed, gets a PM for the thread. THen if he/she choses to lock it, lock it with a final comment, with an option of unlocking if someone sends he/she a PM about wanting to continue the discussion.
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Or the mods could just do their job (including moi) and lock threads that are older then X... months, days w/e iunno- definately years tho Neutral
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

just set it to certain sections.. leave the tutorial/help sectiosn
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:20 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Well one reason I originally said lock, was because then mods could unlock it if there was reason to. I think the original poster getting a PM about it and being able to decide to lock it or leave it open is a good idea; but if they ignore it, it get's locked automatically. And after the requisite time limit they should get another PM asking again.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Andy wrote:
just set it to certain sections.. leave the tutorial/help sectiosn

Ya, but a lot of this is going on in the "help" section.

You shouldn't make it dependant on the topic creator - a lot of people leave every few years Wink.

The best way of solving this problem would be at the source, the posters. I just don't know how.
Bacchus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Nah, I'd say the Source as well. Like have it if someone tries to reply to a post after a certain amount of time it gets automatically PM'ed to the topic starter and then they get the choice of unlocking it or not. Not sure if it can be done that way though.. Shocked
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:54 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Bacchus wrote:
Nah, I'd say the Source as well. Like have it if someone tries to reply to a post after a certain amount of time it gets automatically PM'ed to the topic starter and then they get the choice of unlocking it or not. Not sure if it can be done that way though.. Shocked

But what if the topic starter has left? What if the topic starter went on vacation and the person needs help urgently because they foolishly left their compsci FP to the last few hours before it's due. Confused
A new topic would be created, anyways. I think it's better to leave topics as they are, though dodge had a good idea about leaving the tutorial/help section as they are. On the other hand, I think the source code section should be that way as well (same as tutorial/help) because where else will someone post if he wants to learn about someone's code? I'd prefer to see an old source code topic dragged up and discussed than a pointer to it in the help section and discussion there.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Intretsing dissuction, i will try to implment somthing for this problem in v3. Posably a system where the auther can close the disscution at any time and maybe a time based one as well, or even a system that checks how valued a user is (by bits, posts, length on the site, ect) and if they are a long time well valued user they can post in old topics and newbes can not.

And yes i have not given up on v3 and still whont it done by the new semseter.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: