Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Why I hate people...
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
md

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:32 pm   Post subject: Why I hate people...

Now see a while ago I "yelled" at someone for calling a new poster a noob; recetly I received a PM from said person which I would like to share with the comunity. Hopefully this will help people to realize that getting doing stupid things and then getting angry at me for chewing you out about them is a bad idea.

strike_hawk89 wrote:

look, i would like to mention a few things.
Quote:

I assume you meant "noob", but even then; you have what? like 20 posts?

how does this make me a noob? u dont know how long i have been using turing, or any other programming language for that matter. Post are just post, questions and answers, not to judge people.
Quote:

Oops

secondly, he is calling himself a noob, thats why i found it easy to call him one.
Quote:

However to call someone a "noob" is deplorable

oooooo, calling someone a noob is bad now, oooooooo. "omg, whats he gonna say next?? Shocked " buddy, i can say a lot of worse things ok, dont be going around saying that "noob" is bad.
stay on topic, look at the fibonacci sequence and comment about it and give suggestions. what a waste of time, commenting on my post and wasting my time of writing this to you.
think before u type, so u dont have another one of these messages.

Let's take this slow so I can beat it into people's heads...

Being an ass to others gives others the right to treat you like an ass.

So let's look at the posts shall we?
Malazan wrote:

Code:

var a, b, c : real %Variables
var term : int
put "Please enter how many terms you want in this sequence: " .. %Prompts user for how many terms wanted.
get term

var Fib : array 1 .. term of real %Starts an array
a := 1 %Declares a as 1
b := 0 %Declares b as 0
for i : 1 .. term %Makes the program so that it will display as many terms as the user wants
c:= a + b %The equation so that the first 2 numbers will add up to the next number
put c , " " .. %Outputs the number
a:= b %A is declared as B. A is now the next number.
b:= c %B is declared as C. B is now the next number. The sequence is able to progress.
end for

Quite possibly the easiest to use Fibonacci code? Cool I didn't use any complicated stuff, and added a user prompt for how many terms the user wants Rolling Eyes

Looks to me like a good post. Malazan came up with some code he was proud of and he posted it. Now let's look at strike_hawk's

strike_hawk89 wrote:

hey nub, u dont need that "Fib" array.

Does this seem like a well though out post to anyone? It looks to me like he saw one small thing which could be made better; and decided to post just the thing that could be fixed not say, why it could be fixed... that would have been helpful! And, not only does strike_hawk just point out a supposed flaw without giving help; he also calls Malazan a "nub" which I assume means noob. Why? The reason given is that Malazan's sig is
Malazan wrote:

Now it could just be me... but it would seem that just because someone else calls themselves a noob (jokingly it would seem) doesn't mean that others may also call them a noob. If I call myself a dumb ass for making a mistake does that mean I want others to also call me a dumb ass? No; it means that I am moching myself; and if you moch me I'll punch you in the gut.

Now as the next bit of strike_hawks comments concern my post let's take a look at that:

Cornflake wrote:
strike_hawk89 wrote:
hey nub,...

I assume you meant "noob", but even then; you have what? like 20 posts? And most of those are you asking questions, either to get help, or to try and figure out others code... so I ask you; who is the real noob?

I have nothing against people who are new to programming, and I am more then happy to answer their questions whenever I am able. However to call someone a "noob" is deplorable; especially given that you are equally a "noob".

As for the Fibonacci code; looks good. The two things I must point out are yes, the Fib array isn't used, so you should remove it; and if there is one thing I can't stand it's comments that follow at the end of a line. Comments on the same line as code is a good thing, however, it's much easier to read your code if the comments are all lined up after your code. I like my code to look like a two column article in the paper, the left column is the code; the right the comments.

But aside from those two things (and the second is admitedly a personal preference) it tooks good!

Ok; so let's ignore strike_hawk's comments about calling someone a noob beign bad; it's just more proof that he is an ass. Instead let's take a look at his next point; that I should have stayed on topic and posted about the code. Well hmmm... my post is 8 lines long. 4 of those are about the original post. And not only that but they are actually constuctive! Sure the part about comments is a little angry; but then it really does annoy me... and instead of telling him to get rid of the fib array I tell him why to get rid of it. Seems relatively on topic to me, no?

Next up; me making him wast his time. Now it would seem to me like I didn't make strike_hawk do anything. He posted, I responded. Now 10 days later he feels like he should bitch at me about it. Did I make him do anything? Doesn't look like it to me! Now... did he waste my time; most assuredly. I took time that I could have spent doing other things to read his message. Did I have a choice? Not really, if I didn't read it it would just sit there. And how was I supposed to know that he was going to waste my time such? the title of the PM is "your post on the fibonacci code topic", so very decriptive!

Finally the last thing strike_hawk points out; that I should think before I type... it just seems a little ironic to me.

The sad part is that this is only the most recent of a string of moronic people who have been joining recently. I recall quite a few spam topics in turning help; and equally pointless replies to legitimate questions from people askign for help.

I don't wish to single strike_hawk out though; he is not alone in being stupid. There are other users who have done stupid things in equally stupid ways; fortunatly some of that has been lost due to the recent failure. Thankfully people can change; hopefully the morons of yesterday will become outstanding members of the comunity given time.

But in the mean time... if I see someone being an ass to someone else; I'm going to be just as much or more as ass hole to them; and I don't play around. Piss me off on your own head.

/rant

Anyone else got any ranting to do about stupid people go right ahead.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Delos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ooo...well structured, well versed, slightly erroneous rant you got there. Of course the whole "I don't mean to single ... out" part completely cradles in on itself, but otherwise you've got some good muster going there.

The problem with stupidity, or ignorance, or plain obtuseness is that for every person who tries to go against it, there's a million waiting to fall into the furrow and close their eyes. Bien sûr, we are all guilty of this once in a while...some more frequently than others.

As for hating people, I'm sure you could come up with a better reason that this for that...I mean, we're given enough!

I saw this great poster once...if only I could find a picture...
md

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yes... the title should really be why stupid people are flaming morons who should be shot...

And you gotta give me some credit; I mean for a rant it's pretty good. Not up to templest standards, but give me some time and I'll get better Wink
Notoroge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:38 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I think. . . you worry too much about what other people say. Honestly, I'm not flaming, but why bother making a page-and-a-half essay on why someone was wrong in making a one sentence post (That wasn't as offensive as you make it out t be, really)?

How would that have been solved easily without all the drama? Easy, reply:
What Notoroge would have said, wrote:
Where's your code, nub?
End of story. You're blowing something way out of proportion that really should be a non-issue. Just my $0.02
Delos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:37 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Is that in $US or $CAD? And with inflation and all...
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Laughing

See, I think that yes, all this should not be about one post. Right before the wipe we had tons and tons of erm... newbies and they were constantly breaking one rule or another or all of them. I usually point out the mistake to them so that they can stop before being banned, but seriously after a while I just gave up. These people are so persistent that there's only one solution... Yeah, maybe this post wasn't as negative as Cornflake made it out to be, but he has a good point. Hypocrisy is the worst possible way of being a n00blet (my version Smile)
md

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I must admit that there were other things which got me a bit er... agrivated before I wrote the post...

I would have featured other dumb posts too... but alas they were all wiped out... huzzah!
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

damn.. we got to get you to be a mod cornflake.. u can be like the next asok
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Blade

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thats awesome, pawnt on dem nubs. people who go around and cause trouble for no reason do deserve this, this should be a symbol to all morons and should be printed and slapped on a compsci plaque. i dont think it was blown out of porpotion because it should set an example for future people like him.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well then, make it clear that it's a post directed towards idiots in general. Because at first glance, it looks like you took great offense and weant on a rampage on some random guy for calling someone a nub. Eh
md

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Like I've said... unfortunatly the rest of my target posts were destroyed so I couldn't quote them; so really right now it is kinda focused on the one guy.

However... people in general can learn from his stupidity and perhaps not make the same mistake.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Very well done. I too agree on moving Cornflake to a mod. He should be the new "newb" or "nub" or "nub" mod. Whatever one he prefers, so he can have all rights to puttin them newbs back in place.
I'm actually glad a little bit that the server wiped out a bunch of things. . .

+ 10 Bits on you rant. Very Happy
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think herder would sound better. Ie, "Newb Herder" or "Nub Herder" or something.
md

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes... me as a mod... dangerous... dangerous indeed... "Take that you noob!" lol.

I dunno me as a mod would be cool; but I think I can keep the noobs in check without.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Intresting rant, ushely i whould not alow somthing verging on a personal atack but i think you ment it more as a generail thing for all new users and in that case i think they could learn somthing form it. As much as we try by posting rules posts, and other such rants nothing seems to help the inteclect of some select users. But that is how public forms on the web go i guse. Hopfully we can ban the realy bad ones and keep the others undercontroll.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 32 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: