Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Windows "shortcut" help.
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:18 pm   Post subject: Windows "shortcut" help.

Does anybody have any idea how I can make a shortcut in Windows that behaves like a symbolic link with Linux (or any other *nix possibly)?

So if I have a shortcut "songs" in the folder "C:\StepMania" that actually points to the folder "F:\DDR\songs\", executing C:\StepMania\StepMania.exe will want to access the folder "C:\StepMania\songs\" but will actually end up in "F:\DDR\songs\".

Right? I've heard about "junctions" but that's only possible with NTFS 5.0, and I'd like to stick with FAT32 here.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

As far as I know there is no way to do it with FAT32; however why anyone in their right mind is using FAT32 for their main partition is beyond me.

I think that you're right about junctions on NTFS; but I have no idea how they work.
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I try to spend as little time as possible on Windows, but when it can't be helped I prefer to at least be able to properly access anything I do there from Linux when necessary.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:23 am   Post subject: (No subject)

There's a ton of DOS commands to do that kind of stuff. Here's a list and explanation of all of them, one of them is bound to work. I really don't know exactly what you need (a virtual-drive maybe?), but this should help. http://www.easydos.com/dosindex.html
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: