Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 NetBeans info.
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Cinjection

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:22 pm   Post subject: NetBeans info.

I was planning on learning bits of Java and i downloaded the NetBeans IDE. I like the features of it but i was wondering what you guys use for a Java IDE and compiler. I find NetBeans IDE a little hard to work with, so i was wondering if theres something that i should use instead.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Use the text editor of your choosing and the standard Java command-line tools from Sun.
Cinjection

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Use the text editor of your choosing and the standard Java command-line tools from Sun.

I'd like a regular automated compiler.
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cinjection wrote:
wtd wrote:

I'd like a regular automated compiler.

Why? You like having to figure out a convoluted GUI to be able to something simple like compile a source file?

The compiler is the same, anyway.
Cinjection

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:

Why? You like having to figure out a convoluted GUI to be able to something simple like compile a source file?

No, It's easier with a G.U.I. It's just a couple clicks of the mouse, as opposed to typeing words into a black window. Is this what you use? Why not pick up a IDE specific for that language. That's like takeing a step backwards. Either way, can you throw some good IDE names at me anyway. The ones you know of anyway.
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cinjection wrote:
wtd wrote:

No, It's easier with a G.U.I. It's just a couple clicks of the mouse, as opposed to typeing words into a black window. Is this what you use? Why not pick up a IDE specific for that language. That's like takeing a step backwards. Either way, can you throw some good IDE names at me anyway. The ones you know of anyway.

It's important to understand how the tools work. Any time invested in a specific GUI front-end can easily be wasted when you have to switch to another IDE. The command-line tools will remain the same.

Eclipse is pretty much the standard anymore for Java.
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

netbeans is great. eclipse is as well. they are the two best and free IDE's available for java.

the other option is Intellij's IDEA. (also great, but not so free)

BTW, i use eclipse. nevertheless i would recommed what wtd said: dont use and IDE when learning java (especailly if ur new to programming)
1of42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:

Oh, yeah, watch out for that convoluted GUI.

Build -> Compile
Build -> Execute

For people who are intelligent enough to program, I'm assuming this is no great stretch of mental exercise Rolling Eyes

In any case, once you've learned the standard console commands, it quickly becomes tiresome to recompile things all the time; for this, IDEs are very much better.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mubeen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

try "ready" its really easy to work with and API is good too. Works well for beginners.
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

mubeen wrote:
try "ready" its really easy to work with and API is good too. Works well for beginners.

Except that the APIs you use in it are worthless.

The only real benefit to using Java is the enormous standard library. If you're not learning to use that, then you might as well learn another language.
Cinjection

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:

The only real benefit to using Java is the enormous standard library. If you're not learning to use that, then you might as well learn another language.

Just out of curiosity, what's your favorite language?
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cinjection wrote:
wtd wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what's your favorite language?

You're asking me to pick just one? Laughing

I honestly don't know that I can.
mubeen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

other than the 3D part i find the API in ready to be a lot more than just worthless and any beginner would not start out with 3D so its a good place to start. It doesnt require you to create packages for small programs unlike netbeans which can at times become a real pain.
1of42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

mubeen wrote:

For once, I gotta agree with wtd - Ready's libaries are absolutely terrible. IMO, they're basically taking one of the most excellent aspects of Java - the enormous standard library - and turning it into Turing-esque simplified crap.

*edit*

Onthe other hand, the IDE is nicely lightweight, easy to use, easy to compile/run with (no convoluted menus), and has that nice auto-indent feature... Smile
Cinjection

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:26 am   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:

You're asking me to pick just one? Laughing

I honestly don't know that I can.

awww come on, "amuse me."
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 32 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: