Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [Help!] Error installing Office 2003
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Amailer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:17 pm   Post subject: [Help!] Error installing Office 2003

Hey,
Im trying... to install office 2003... but when ever I run the installer (for like Word 2003 or w/e) i get this error (check attachment). Infact, I get the same error when ever I install anythign that uses...Windows Installer w/e!
Help! ahah

office_2k3_error.JPG
 Description:
I'm getting this error when ever I run [i]a[/i] installer...
 Filesize:  15.16 KB
 Viewed:  2674 Time(s)

office_2k3_error.JPG

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amailer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Nevermind, I fixed it- after M$ released an auto-update for the windows installer 3.1 it got screwed, I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it manually XD.

Which is newer? Office 2003, or Office XP?
lyam_kaskade

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Wikipedia wrote:

# Office 10.0/2002/XP (Word 2002, etc.) - released May 31, 2001
# Office 11.0/2003 (Word 2003, etc.) - released November 17, 2003
Notoroge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

IMO, there's no point in upgrading from XP to 2003. Few changes that are not even visible to the regular home user.
Amailer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Great, lost my 2000 cd now its not allowing me to upgrade Evil or Very Mad damm you M$!
Drakain Zeil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Just use Open Office. No one even uses those wizards, except to make a resume.
betaflye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Notoroge wrote:
IMO, there's no point in upgrading from XP to 2003. Few changes that are not even visible to the regular home user.
Research task pane, sharepoint connectivity, most important are the changes for a developer like XML. All in all not really major differences.
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

office 2003 is a really solid piece of software, one of the best microsoft came up with, besides the fact that it looks so much cooler than windows xp, its much easier to look up things like betaflye said
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Notoroge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:56 am   Post subject: (No subject)

betaflye wrote:
Research task pane, sharepoint connectivity, most important are the changes for a developer like XML.
Like I said, "not even visible to the regular home user."

Andy, you buy things because of how they look?

The Tao of Programming wrote:
A novice programmer was once assigned to code a simple financial package.

The novice worked furiously for many days, but when his master reviewed his program, he discovered that it contained a screen editor, a set of generalized graphics routines, an artificial intelligence interface, but not the slightest mention of anything financial.

When the master asked about this, the novice became indignant. ``Don't be so impatient,'' he said, ``I'll put in the financial stuff eventually.''
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:58 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i didnt buy it lol, but thats beside the point.. i dont think i actually said that i chose it over xp because it looks good... i just said stated it as a fact, the research panel is its main attraction for me
Amailer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:37 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Buy office 2003? who?
anyhow, the damm thing needs the office 2000 CD (which I used to have but now I don't) so damm anoying -.-. Anyhow, i fixed the problem of the installer at least!
Notoroge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:53 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Maybe you got an "Upgrade" CD instead of the full version? I know that when I installed Office 2003 it didn't need the Office 2000 CD. So, I'unno.
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:01 am   Post subject: (No subject)

If you want a WYSIWYG editor, yeah, looks are important. Office 2003 is a fairly substantial jump from XP - it loads faster and has more features. If all that you care about is having a word processor, Office 95 would do you fine.

Or you could of course use LaTeX.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:10 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
If all that you care about is having a word processor, Office 95 would do you fine.

Or you could of course use LaTeX.
That's exactly my point. The average person that just wants to type up a resume, a physics lab, or print some yummy recipies won't care about all those new-fangled features. I upgraded to Office 2003 and I can tell you, I've seen no difference what-so-ever for what I do with a wordprocessor.
Amailer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I Just installed it (doing the updates now...so MANY UPDATES!@#!@#) and I think its alright- an improvement... I still have to use it to actually give details I guess. BUT YOU STILL cannot export as PDF.. unless I cannot see it.
What does "speech" do? Rolling Eyes
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 17 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: