Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Dragon Boating
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:41 pm   Post subject: Dragon Boating

W00t!
Who here has been dragonboating?

anyway, our Waterloo Collegiate Institute team, in which I am a member, won the championship for the 2005 Guelph Lake FMG dragonboating festival. I gotta tell you, this is one of the funnest things I've done, if you get a chance do it. No big muscles required (if you are a girl, the drummer or the steersman)

We brought home a huge trophy and also our drummer won the best drummer award (in the drummer showdown).
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I did a quick google search... in what was is Dragonboating different from just regular team rowing, except for the drummer?
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The technique, for one, join up on a team and you'll see, its not the kind of rowing that first pops up in your head. plus it IS team rowing, 20 rowers, a drummer and a steersperson, but to get good times, its not easy. Not really comparable with a canoe or a kayak though Razz

Plus, its not only the sport, its what comes with it. The dragon boating festival. This year we fund raised almost $10,000 for prostate cancer, lots of teams show up to compete, and alot of fun and spirit is involved. Theres alot of entertainment like martial arts demonstrations, drumming, dancing etc. Its a lot of fun ^^.
brenn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Dragon Boat Festival is today (June 7th Gregorian calendar), right? XD

I just know that it's two days before my lunar birthday, and they both happened to co-incide this year...
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I may be chinese, but that isn't a part of my heritage >_< .
Its fun though!
Maverick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hikaru79 wrote:
I did a quick google search... in what was is Dragonboating different from just regular team rowing, except for the drummer?

Umm rowing is about 20 times more physically demanding.
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Dunno if its that much, but we do need to put alot of energy in, I remember after the last race, on which I used all the energy I can, I couldn't move my fingers on my left hand without alot of pain and it was pretty much alike compared to a race 4 times around the track. This is in around 2min 30 seconds though.
Maverick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok i was exaggerating, but rowing is quite a bit more demanding than dragon boating. I've done both.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: