Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Sharing entire C drive over network.
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Notoroge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:59 am   Post subject: Sharing entire C drive over network.

Okay, well. I networked my computers together. But Windows is annoying the hell out of me to the point that my blood is actually starting to boil. What an insult to my intelligence. It's telling me that it can't share the f*ing C:\WINDOWS or C:\Program Files\ folder because it's "Unsafe" and "Is used by the Operating System". Goddamnit!

This computer has a virus on it (I know it, I see things screwing up all over the place, and random EXEs and folders being made), and pos McAfee isn't recognizing it. So I want to scan this computer over the network with AVG on my computer. Is there any f*ing way for me to do this? Or some sort of registry-hack that I can patch mine with to remove the sharing block? It's temporary anyways, just share the folder while I'm scanning.

Grr . . . Microsoft kills my will to live.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Maverick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Why would you want to scan it with avg? McAfee is much better then the free version of AVG. The free avg hardly catches anything.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Who said it was the free AVG version? I have the professional version. I figured it would be a better investment than all other commercial alternatives. Norton just uses way too many resources, McAfee is the same thing (Plus it has a ton of added features which I really don't want but am still being charged for).

Although I think I'm going to have to end up buying http://www.grisoft.com/doc/Networks/lng/us/tpl/tpl01 which seems to have this functionality. Anyone care to input?
md

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't know what version of windows your using or how you have security set up; but I can share my drive no problem; just right click -> Sharing and Security->Share and set permisions.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

That's for the "C:\" partition. I can share the drive no problem. But the thing is, "Program Files" and "Windows" is locked out to any remote system. So, while you're supposed to be sharing the entire "C:\" partition, "Program Files" and "Windows" is always locked out.

And when I try to share both folders individually, it gives me those two excuses,
"It's unsafe, blah blah.."
"Cannot share folder because it is used by the Operating System"
md

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:02 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Most strange; I can access both folders. Are you logging on as an admin user when you try and access them?
betaflye

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Don't use AVG, professional or free. Use something superior such as f-prot, Avast!, Norton, McAfee or my personal favourite Kapersky.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Norton is good, but as was previously mentioned - it uses far too much resources and is just too.. bulky...

Any reason for all the recent AVG bashing?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amailer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

AVG doesn't work for me- meaning it doesn't find all the viruses...
North does, I use it- but I leave the comp on during the night and run it so it really doesn't bother me since it gets over by morning.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Amailer wrote:

North does, I use it- but I leave the comp on during the night and run it so it really doesn't bother me since it gets over by morning.

Why waste all that energy and money? Why!!

Personally, I've got AVG 7 Free going right now, and it's got updates every day. It hasn't found any viruses on my computer, and judging on how my computer is behaving, I'd say that's quite likely.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cervantes wrote:
Personally, I've got AVG 7 Free going right now, and it's got updates every day. It hasn't found any viruses on my computer, and judging on how my computer is behaving, I'd say that's quite likely.

I am in the same situation, and I totally agree. It's fast, effective, and up-to-date.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:08 am   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:
Cervantes wrote:

I am in the same situation, and I totally agree. It's fast, effective, and up-to-date.
Ditto. Except the Free part. I'm not to partial of the Free version.
Update: Yeah, anyways... back on topic. Any ideas? Eh
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

have you tried installing AVG on the infected computer and scan it localy?
the_short1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea.. i had a virus a couple months back on my famil pc.. guess what the FIRST thing it did ? shut down norton antivirus!..... i got the virus on my pc with avg free... and avg didnlt get shutdown and it detected the virus....

... ihave avg free on my family pc now.. i just waited for the 90day to run out.. .. ive thought about upgrading it to full i even go the serial already... just too busy to upgrade....

the only thing i dont like bout avg is it doesnlt like deleting a virus from within a archive... meaning.. i had Trojan.ByteVerify that was embeded inside an archive.. and it coulnd;t remove it . . i just had to delete the file myself and the virus was gone ...... the rest of the program is AWSOME.

....notoroge... have you tryed booting up in safe mode w/ network acess? if installing AVG on that computer wont work......
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 14 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: