Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Windows troubleshooting database
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Amailer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:56 am   Post subject: Windows troubleshooting database

How about we create a database that can be used in V3 where people can enter some common problem... doesn't only have to be windows (but aren't most of the problems in windows only?) but it can be any other OS.. Anyhow, a database where people post problems like how martin had -- his files were getting sorted incorrectly and etc and then they have to also post a solution. This way users can just search though the database and get their answer Very Happy Would be good for me!

Troubleshooting is the right word right?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
brenn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

^^ There needs to be a new "Suggestions for V3" topic.... one that isn't overly corrupted by unrelated spam ._.;;

[/guilt]
Mazer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sounds good to me. Troubleshooting, and maybe a few "howto's" as well?
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

In a perfect world, this would be a great idea, but the sad truth is that most people (read: newbies) will simply post without bothering to search through some database. In fact, people can search the forum already, but they often don't. It's a lot easier to ask for instant help than do any searching yourself Sad
brenn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Expanding the scope of compsci might result in exceeding the capabilities of its members, moderators, and administrators; it has it's specific sections, as well as the more general aspects, but would we really want to make it involve detailedly descriptive computer-related issues and problems?

It's great that compsci is growing, but there will be a certain point when somethings will be deemed irrelevant and a new, seperate branch develops on its own.

In order to accomodate, I suppose V3 would need to be strictly organized to avoid clutter, confusion, and ambiguity.
md

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I agree that if compsci tries to expand it's scope too much then the moderators and admins might over reach their skills; however I think that a howto section; where each howto is vetted by a mod or admin before it gets posted is a great idea. That was even if n00bs post topics asking for help with things already covered by a howto we can just post a link to the howto and they can figure it out from there.
Amailer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

phpBBs search works but it isn't that great.
And yeah, we might be 'thinking of expanding alot' but the actual v3 doesn't even include anything that we have talked about. I was thinking just incase v3 isn't out anytime soon we could create a page where users can go and search for answers and etc where everything is already orgnized... Its not really for v3 its just so that we can orgnize stuff... I would like it cus I would be easily able to search for problems... also users who know some problems can post the problem (even though no one as requested it which you usually would need if your posting it on a forum) and the answer- then 1 day someone might have that problem and he/she can just search for it.. hopefully it will come up Smile
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: